Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I ended up bending my alloy rim a year ago and paid almost $300 to get it fixed! It had a very bad vibration but not super noticeable 5 or 6/10? I've been super paranoid ever since.

I have a set of steelies for my winter tires and alloys for the summer.
I'm noticing a faint vibration 3/10? with BOTH my steel And alloy rims! I'm not sure what's the chance that I bent BOTH sets?

The other thing is the vibration is happening at basically ALL SPEEDS (again at a 3/10 level) but it slightly worse on the highway. Is this just normal and I'm being hyper sensitive? I've even tried turning off the engine while moving to see if it's the engine and I didn't notice any change!

Has anyone here dealt with this before?

·
17,479 Posts
How are the tyres? Check the inside of the front tyres for feathering. If they're feathering, that's likely the cause of your issue and you'll either need new tyres or an alignment/shocks. Sometimes a bad quality tyre will feather because of how the smart is set up...and sometimes you need an alignment or new shocks.

In my case, I was getting pretty bad feathering and heavy vibrations. I considered getting an alignment, but I instead ditched the crappy Sentury tyres and got myself some good quality rubber. No more feathering, no more vibrations.

Here's what feathering would look like:

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
First thing to check is tire pressures. surprising how they can affect things, then check for a tire worn down or a bulge in the tire. with these small tires, damage can happen on even the smallest bump.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check the rotors too. They can get warped and normally you would only notice a vibration when you put on the brakes, but perhaps they are warped enough to cause a minor imbalance when moving. A four wheel alignment should also be considered after addressing any tire issues.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How are the tyres? Check the inside of the front tyres for feathering. If they're feathering, that's likely the cause of your issue and you'll either need new tyres or an alignment/shocks. Sometimes a bad quality tyre will feather because of how the smart is set up...and sometimes you need an alignment or new shocks.

In my case, I was getting pretty bad feathering and heavy vibrations. I considered getting an alignment, but I instead ditched the crappy Sentury tyres and got myself some good quality rubber. No more feathering, no more vibrations.

Here's what feathering would look like:

Thanks for the help! Didn't even know of feathering!

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you hit something hard enough to bend a rim I'd be looking at possible damage to the suspension in that corner. If it's a front rim then ball joints, tie rod ends and possibly wheel bearings might need to be checked.

Tire wear might also be accompanied by an increase in tire noise from that corner.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you hit something hard enough to bend a rim I'd be looking at possible damage to the suspension in that corner. If it's a front rim then ball joints, tie rod ends and possibly wheel bearings might need to be checked.

Tire wear might also be accompanied by an increase in tire noise from that corner.
I HATE the roads where I live! I LOST MY MUFFLER MOUNT when I hit a pothole. You'd think with half my money going to the government they could do a little better?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts