Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
A big thanks to everyone who's taken the time to post their new audio modifications. What a big help it was to see your progress and read the "tips". I bought my first Smart three years after the introduction, so I had a lot of resource to mine from. Buying the new model so early has really limited my ability to find the tips and tricks..... LOL

I purchased one of the radios shown on here. Ordered from China, arrived in 7 days. While I was freaked out that there were basically no instructions, it was super easy to install and basically plug and play.

I have always wanted a lap top/ tablet system permanently mounted in my car and that's what I ended up with. It runs the latest Android OS (Nougat OS is coming I'm told) Even better, the phone button on the steering wheel works! It will pull up the phone menu on screen. Double pushing it will redial the last number called. Easy to connect to any wifi. In my driveway, it was downloading items with ease. I went one step further and installed a verizon jetpack in my car so I can run Waze, my xm app, etc full time when the car is running. I no longer have to run my tablet or phone for those apps. The unit connected seamlessly with my phone via blue tooth and streamed the music easily. Still learning but I wouldn't hesitate to order it again.

I ordered the Unit, OBD blue tooth, back up camera and wireless connector. Shipped to my door for $468. My first smart I spent over $2,500 upgrading to a DVD player, GPS head unit, 4 speakers, 2 tweeters and a few days in the shop.

The next phase will be adding rear speakers and upgrading the door speakers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello smartyone
Good job, I've been thinking about this upgrade but I'm a bit hesitant messing up with the electronics. You said this unit is basically plug-and-play, where can I get a similar unit?

Thanks,
Alby,

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
i wouldn't bother with rear speakers .. you want the soundstage in front of you .. not nehind :p
Bull. You do want rear speakers. You should be able to adjust balance and fade to the point you close your eyes and can not tell from which direction the music is coming from. You will be surrounded with sound and it's so sweet. I have this head, 4 speakers and sub woofer. I wouldn't have it any other way. I had 4 speakers and a sub in my 450 and that's was the hardest thing to let go to get a new smart. I lived with the stock stereo for only one month.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bull. You do want rear speakers. You should be able to adjust balance and fade to the point you close your eyes and can not tell from which direction the music is coming from. You will be surrounded with sound and it's so sweet. I have this head, 4 speakers and sub woofer. I wouldn't have it any other way. I had 4 speakers and a sub in my 450 and that's was the hardest thing to let go to get a new smart. I lived with the stock stereo for only one month.

i would gladly give you a demo in my car.. you don't need rear speakers to make sound feel like it's coming from behind ... the less speakers you have the best you can make it sound (with proper tuning of course)
Just look at the best stereo builds in SQ competition and you will see .. the only speakers located behind are subs!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
i would gladly give you a demo in my car.. you don't need rear speakers to make sound feel like it's coming from behind ... the less speakers you have the best you can make it sound (with proper tuning of course)
Just look at the best stereo builds in SQ competition and you will see .. the only speakers located behind are subs!
I agree to disagree. I've always put fronts and rears in all my cars. Competition stereos are built for different reasons and don't necessarily sound the best at moderate listening levels.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I agree to disagree. I've always put fronts and rears in all my cars. Competition stereos are built for different re sqasons and don't necessarily sound the best at moderate listening levels.
SQ competition is for sound quality... SPL is what youre talking about!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts