Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased two 2015 Smart Fortwo 451’s about a year ago off Facebook Marketplace because they both had one owner and had 6k & 9k miles respectively. I spent a 1/2 hour just trying to take the air filter out to check it, but decided to have Mercedes handle the service, since they offer vallet pickup/delivery. One car was for my girlfriend (who needed a 2nd car and had a golf cart stall). I have a two car garage, and my Harley Davidson fits in the front of my garage and my smart is 9’ long and fits behind it. I bought a new OEM navigation radio from eBay and wanted to have Mercedes install it since i tried to swap out my am/fm and the wiring harness was different. They charged me over $500 to swap out the radio (3 hours shop time). They also said that found a leak in the rear windows seal (which was $900 since they generally break the window when replacing it). They recommend $1,800 in level 3 service and windshield wipers (even though they has replaced filter, fluid and wipers just last july and had only driven the car 200 miles since last year). I also looked at having mercedes service put in an armrest ($900), cruise control ($2,200) and a glove box (instead of a shel $1,200). I didn’t have the armrest, cruse control, or glovebox install because of the dost, but also mercedes parts said they could mo longer get the parts since all of the Mercedes dealership seem to be selling all of their smart car accessories on eBay. I was lucky enough to find a used navigation faceplate on eBay or they could not have swapped out my radio. Although my girlfriend and I enjoy having a small 2nd car I, I have to prepare myself for the fact that if I am ever in an accident, my insurance adjuster is probably going to total my car since there are no parts available and the repair would be more then the blue book. In all of Colorado there is only one Mercedes Dealership that will even service a smart car. one of the cars was missing the spare key, and cost $250-$275 to reprogram a new one. The owner also lost the owners manuals and i found one new 2015 oem set on eBay for $250. I also made the mistake of buying reproduction passion rims off eBay to replace my Pure steel rims. I went to discount and had new tires and TPMS sensors installed and found out my TPMS light stayed on. Mercedes service said it would be $1,100 to get them to work. I ended up pulling the TPMS sensors off my old steel rims discount tires was getting rid of for me, and had them install them on my new rims and the TPMS light went out. (You have to use OEM Mercedes TPMS sensors for the system to recognize the sensors regardless of what Discount tires telling you that their $60 ea tmps sensors are programmed the same). The Mercedes manager suggested I use a piece of black electric tape to cover up the tpms warning light rather then spend $1,100 to troubleshoot the sensors. I even ended up having Mercedes replace the 12v batteries in both smart cars for $350 each since the cars are 6 years old and are not driven much and both batteries failed the charging test, and are a special size battery that only Mercedes can order and instal, and I figured was cheap insurance, since i went in the battery box under the floorboard, and it is also almost impossible to replace yourself unless you have the time and the tools to do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Welcome to the forum and smart car ownership ×2. Looks like you got Mercedes-Benz Royal Treatment. You did buy cars built by and sold by Mercedes-Benz. Knowing your cars are being worked on by the same mechanics that work on 450 SLC, the shop rate is going to be the same makes no difference which car is on the rack.
You are lucky in one respect, you have the option of using a certified smart service center for services and Diagnostics that other repair shops cannot or are unwilling to handle. Some of the repairs that you outlined in your post could be handled by other competent shops, if you neither have the time, the space, the tools, the knowledge, to do those repairs yourself.
Most people buy cars and really don't care to or expect to have to work on them or have to run around having to source their own parts.
One of the reasons Auto zone, Sam's, Costco, etc will install the batteries you buy from them, is most people DON'T want to mess with it and shouldn't be expedited to.
Your saving grace is the members on this board are really a wealth of information.
Welcome aboard and good luck with with the twins.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I purchased two 2015 Smart Fortwo 451’s about a year ago off Facebook Marketplace because they both had one owner and had 6k & 9k miles respectively. I spent a 1/2 hour just trying to take the air filter out to check it, but decided to have Mercedes handle the service, since they offer vallet pickup/delivery. One car was for my girlfriend (who needed a 2nd car and had a golf cart stall). I have a two car garage, and my Harley Davidson fits in the front of my garage and my smart is 9’ long and fits behind it. I bought a new OEM navigation radio from eBay and wanted to have Mercedes install it since i tried to swap out my am/fm and the wiring harness was different. They charged me over $500 to swap out the radio (3 hours shop time). They also said that found a leak in the rear windows seal (which was $900 since they generally break the window when replacing it). They recommend $1,800 in level 3 service and windshield wipers (even though they has replaced filter, fluid and wipers just last july and had only driven the car 200 miles since last year). I also looked at having mercedes service put in an armrest ($900), cruise control ($2,200) and a glove box (instead of a shel $1,200). I didn’t have the armrest, cruse control, or glovebox install because of the dost, but also mercedes parts said they could mo longer get the parts since all of the Mercedes dealership seem to be selling all of their smart car accessories on eBay. I was lucky enough to find a used navigation faceplate on eBay or they could not have swapped out my radio. Although my girlfriend and I enjoy having a small 2nd car I, I have to prepare myself for the fact that if I am ever in an accident, my insurance adjuster is probably going to total my car since there are no parts available and the repair would be more then the blue book. In all of Colorado there is only one Mercedes Dealership that will even service a smart car. one of the cars was missing the spare key, and cost $250-$275 to reprogram a new one. The owner also lost the owners manuals and i found one new 2015 oem set on eBay for $250. I also made the mistake of buying reproduction passion rims off eBay to replace my Pure steel rims. I went to discount and had new tires and TPMS sensors installed and found out my TPMS light stayed on. Merely said it would be $1,100 to get them to work. I ended up pulling the TPMS sensors off my old steel rims discount tires was getting rid of for me, and had them install them on my new rims and the TPMS light went out. (You have to use OEM Mercedes TPMS sensors for the system to recognize the sensors regardless of what Discount tires telling you that their $60 ea tmps sensors are programmed the same). The Mercedes manager suggested I use a piece of black electric tape to cover up the tpms warning light rather then spend $1,100 to troubleshoot the sensors. I even ended up having Mercedes replace the 12v batteries in both smart cars for $350 each since the cars are 6 years old and are not driven much and both batteries failed the charging test, and are a special size battery that only Mercedes can order and instal, and I figured was cheap insurance, since i went in the battery box under the floorboard, and it is also almost impossible to replace yourself unless you have the time and the tools to do it yourself.
You don't need to use OEM Mercedes TPMS units. The OEM units are made by Shraeder. Regular aftermarket Shrader units work just fine. I have several sets installed. As for the battery, it is not impossible to replace. Takes a little time and some basic tools, but it can be done. Sorry to see you've been given some bad info.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
TCG, I have 5 of them. A couple are in need of work to run, and the rest are hobbled by one or two kinks but pass inspection. If I were to insist that my TPMS should work, or the ABS light should stay off, or that misfire Cyl 2 taken care of, I'd be broke, too. I rotate and replace winter-summer tires myself, look out for deals in the forum for parts on the cheap, and learn (not difficult) how to instal my own NAV headunits. Of course, the very specific items like key-replacements will be dealer-bound.
In short, the money that I would have used to fix or make prefect my ONE smart at a dealer, I used that instead to buy three orphans that needed a new home.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't need to use OEM Mercedes TPMS units. The OEM units are made by Shraeder. Regular aftermarket Shrader units work just fine. I have several sets installed. As for the battery, it is not impossible to replace. Takes a little time and some basic tools, but it can be done. Sorry to see you've been given some bad info.
Thank you so much for your information. That is why I appreciate the information from everyone in the group, you really know alot. I wish I had fallen in love with the Fiat or a mini cooper, but really love the way the smart car looks and the Mercedes quality.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TCG, I have 5 of them. A couple are in need of work to run, and the rest are hobbled by one or two kinks but pass inspection. If I were to insist that my TPMS should work, or the ABS light should stay off, or that misfire Cyl 2 taken care of, I'd be broke, too. I rotate and replace winter-summer tires myself, look out for deals in the forum for parts on the cheap, and learn (not difficult) how to instal my own NAV headunits. Of course, the very specific items like key-replacements will be dealer-bound.
In short, the money that I would have used to fix or make prefect my ONE smart at a dealer, I used that instead to buy three orphans that needed a new home.
That is seriously impressive that you have five. i wanted to thank you for being available to answer questions . This group is truly a blessing

·
Registered
603 Posts
Thank you so much for your information. That is why I appreciate the information from everyone in the group, you really know alot. I wish I had fallen in love with the Fiat or a mini cooper, but really love the way the smart car looks and the Mercedes quality.
This might put you off of the FIAT 500:

It certainly have me pause...

·
Registered
601 Posts
^ all that work just to replace the alternator?
Sheesh.
Kinda reminds me of the Chrysler Concorde I had when the starter failed(it had the 3.2 v6 which requires the catalytic converter removed to get to it)
So glad I got rid of it.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
This might put you off of the FIAT 500:

It certainly have me pause...
Sorry, my little 500 been a great car the last 10 years. Much more refine then my little smart car.
On the smart car, you have to drop the engine. To replace the alternator.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Sorry, my little 500 been a great car the last 10 years. Much more refine then my little smart car.
On the smart car, you have to drop the engine. To replace the alternator.

View attachment 66409
Looks like you may need to lower the engine on the smart, but I believe there is a bolt kit for that. Still looks a hell of a lot easier than the Fiat job.

Ho To Remove The Alternator | Smart Fortwo 451 Alternator Replacement - Bing video

Smart ForTwo 451 Alternator and Serpentine Belt Replacement - Project Brabus Ep03 - Bing video

·
Registered
561 Posts
Sounds like "Smart Rescue". Auto Zone is a Godsend for these cars. Wal-Mart didn't have 165 but installed 185 on the cheap

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
What we need here is a INTERVENTION..........

While there can be some time consuming and trerefore costly repairs associated with Smart Car servicing at least save that for major times IE a radiator fan replacement. Not an after market Arm Rest.

A Mercedes Benz dealer to install a radio........ You need help!

A leak in the rear window seal. they generally break the window when replacing it...... BACK AWAY FROM MY VEHICLE ... I"M NOT PLAYING ONE STEP CLOSER AND I WILL SET IT OFF IN HERE!

I decided to have Mercedes do the service since they offer vallet pick up/delivery........
✋ Just stop we are done here.

Look here Richey Rich, you can keep this up and be just fine. This is a lot "of asking for it" stuff you are doing. If you would like some fellow Smart owners in the Colorado area to point you towards some shops that can provide more resonable prices in your area, I think that could happen. If you are just saying I have 4 cars and a Harley and don't really like or have time to get my hands dirty. Then have "Alfred" draw your bath and stop with the sticker shock nonsence. You are single handedly driving the avarage cost of Smart car repairs way up.

Now which is it. ..........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts