Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the Dell Diamond Parking lot today in Round Rock Texas for our Smart tour street rides... Had a great time...light crowd...less then 20 folks in line at any time (several waves during the 2.5 hours I was there)

Had to cycle through the line a few times before I got a shot at the rag top.... I liked it a LOT for style and how easy it worked and looked...

I finally asked to be a "passenger" and I conned the Smart tour "driver" to rag on it some and get some serious speed up (our test drive route barely got out of second gear and was mostly under 30MPH)

He was tired of the mind numbing short route and series of tight turns so he grinned and off we went to thrash the little beast a bit...

Top down there is more wind then I prefer at 60 mph... Top up and there is MUCH more road noise and fabric flapping then I want to listen to..

Now this is just me... I will NOT be using this as an inner city low mph car.

I live out in the sticks 32 miles and my commute is on a 75mph highway, through a 5 stop light 45mph town, and on to Ft Hood where some 5 (50mph) miles later I am at work. I love my radio; music, and news and I am old enough to be grumpy about external noises...

Well that drive fixed that nagging issue. Up to this point all I had been in or driven were hard tops. Rag top is not for me.

Also changed my mind on the color..I would love a darker Red and Black. The Smart Red is too orange in the bright Texas sunlight

So my next love is the Yellow/Black Passion hard top.

I also decided finally that I will order the comfort group and leather package .... I was hedging on getting cloth for the better colors inside and having the seats recovered in leather until I saw that the side air bags blow out of the seat back sides...I do NOT want to screw around with or have warranty issues with the air bags.... still on the fence about electric power steering... the manual steer is very light with good return to center...but I probably will get the Power steer just because I am building a "full option" car

now I need to find a Yellow/Black slidways avatar! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Now this is just me... I will NOT be using this as an inner city low mph car.

I live out in the sticks 32 miles and my commute is on a 75mph highway, through a 5 stop light 45mph town, and on to Ft Hood where some 5 (50mph) miles later I am at work. I love my radio; music, and news and I am old enough to be grumpy about external noises...
Sounds exactly like me except for the being old part. Its gonna be my primary and only car and will be used to get me to school which is a 30 minute highway drive so I hear you about it being to noisy to try and listen to some music or grab the news in the morning. (Plus I wouldnt want a convertible living near Buffalo)

As for the red looking orange in the sun...that is interesting because that is my first choice with a black tridion. Hoping this really isnt the case though cause I dont want to be driving around in an orange car :p

·
Smartmadness.com
1,216 Posts
Ahh Im sorry to hear that but I can understand your opinion. I drove in the convertible and for me it was not that bad. I will be using the SMART for a daily driver as well. I have an SUV but to save on gas I will be using the SMART as much as possible unless im going out of the state or need to fit more than one other passenger.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am leaning toward full boat build will all available options including Black leather (only leather color) with black interior trim

It looks like several of the interior "panels" that are cloth covered can be easily removed. If true, then my crafty wife and I might try to find light weight leather (or fake leather) close to the exterior Yellow and recover selected panels. The curved dash insert and both door trims should soften up the full black interior much like the red does....

Pity the red was not very red (to my eye) but the more I visualize the Yellow/ Black "Bumble Bee" Smart, the more I like it. Might eve play with some wide Black vinyl exterior Striping tape to make the back 1/4 of the sides look like a Bee

Came close to Blue/Black exterior but I think the little Smart (should be one of damned few in the Ft Hood area) should stand out and be noticed.... Most of the bright yellow trucks around here catch your eye first on the street... The Black, Blue, Silver, or White Smart cars would just blend in around here because they would not contrast with all the giant vehicles in the same basic colors

At the "road show" I did see one Soldier in uniform and met two other $99 "reserves" from the Ft Hood area and one of them is dropping off the list. I bet this time next year there will be only three or four Smart Cars in this area.

·
Registered
26 Posts
:)sounds like a plan! I am with you, it will be a yellow and black passion and a black interior,waiting for that email I registered in late may though(UGH):eek:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I got a shot at the rag top.... I liked it a LOT for style and how easy it worked and looked...

Top down there is more wind then I prefer at 60 mph... Top up and there is MUCH more road noise and fabric flapping then I want

I love my radio; music, and news and I am old enough to be grumpy about external noises...

Up to this point all I had been in or driven were hard tops. Rag top is not for me.

So my next love is the Yellow/Black Passion hard top.

:D
i understand.

i like the hardtop smart, with the clear roof, a lot. agonized over hardtop vs. convertible smart for months. seemed to like them both, a lot. knew, if one picked, would miss the other terribly. wanted both, the impossible.

with six months of non-friendly to convertible tops down, winter-like weather, just begun, the hardtop clear roof is a great choice.

but all is not lost with the smart convertible in winter. a gentleman in canada, with deep winters, leaves his cabrio outside, and drives it all winter, and he enjoys it, with no adverse affects to the convertible.

i've never owned convertible. began to realize, if ever there was the time to own one before i die, it probably is now, or never.

for me, the convertible is a sort of renewal of fond childhood go-cart memories (no top nor sides), or of my college days motorcycle, this time with training wheels.

lot of wind sound on motorcycles. thinking back, don't remember hearing wind when on the motorcycle. definitely must have been there.

at 60 mpg, hardtop windows down, the radio sound is gone, as i recall. very high wind noise. i would expect the convertible with top down is going to have a lot of wind sound. thats part of the fun. like a motorcycle.

if one likes/liked motorcycles, but thinking of a four wheel version, would guess they may like the top down convertible.

not having owned a convertible, asked questions to random people in parking lots, etc. in convertibles, and read comments in forums, of those who do or have, owned them.

first asked, if you could do it all over again, would you still buy a convertible. all answers so far, have been yes.

then, will your next new vehicle be a convertible or hardtop related. again, they all seem to say, another convertible. one exception was a lady that now had three kids, and was going to go back to only one vehicle, so she said their family may consider a van next time.

of 'smart convertible owners' on other forms, who are thinking of ordering a new 2008 model, about 9 of 10 or so, are planning to order another convertible.

one person made the comment, the difference is, in a hardtop, you can see the people having fun at the picnic.

in a convertible, one is having fun at the picnic.

and, the 'smart' convertible, appears to be the worlds lowest priced (best value?) way, to experience a new convertible.

if one didn't like the new convertible experience, the smart is so new to the usa, one may be able to drive it for two months or so in the spring/summer, and sell it for about the same they paid.

this is not to say your points are not valid.

it may be more of an individual curiosity.

my interest in non stop music, news, and talk radio has faded. beginning to enjoy the natural sounds of a properly working engine, vehicle, and maybe with a future convertible, natures invisible wind.

there are some, who will cross the nation, on a motorcycle. lots of wind sound there, maybe more than a convertible.

there is something about the convertible, that once owned, it appears to draw one back for another.

·
Registered
834 Posts
there is something about the convertible, that once owned, it appears to draws one back for another.
Absolutely correct, however there comes a time (snif snif) when they no longer satisfy. I had a convertible for a few days as a loaner (BMW Z4), and to my great sadness I found it didn't click anymore. I also was given a Sebring as a rental in San Francisco not too long ago and, to make a long story short, I guess I'm too old now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts