Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,205 Posts
"The understeer's almost gone, the steering's jolly nice and it's great improvement – but when they make a manual, that'll be fun."

Pretty good endorsement from one of the great drivers of all time. I don't think he's going to see a fully manual transmission from smart, unfortunately.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Haven't heard about him in a long time...he was a big name driver and proponent of Saabs in events backin the 60's like the Montecarlo Rally and others too numerous to mention.
I would say a thumbs up from him is a big PLUS knowing cars like he does.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Haven't heard about him in a long time...he was a big name driver and proponent of Saabs in events backin the 60's like the Montecarlo Rally and others too numerous to mention.
I would say a thumbs up from him is a big PLUS knowing cars like he does.
Sir Sterling himself ended his production rallying in 1954 with the Sunbeam/Rootes Group, but his younger sister, Pat Moss, had a long and productive career in rallying, including up on Saabs, and including her own personal Saab.

BTW, Pat married Erik Carlsson, for many years the king of the rallying Saabs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was at Sebring (FL) in the Spring of somewhere in the late '70s, and Stirling Moss was there to race in one of the classic races in his Birdcage Maserati. I even helped him push that car out of the paddock area (I was simply in the right place at the right time.) How cool to find out he's a smart owner, and to hear what he had to say about the smart. Also, kind of ironically, in a strange way, I'll be getting my smart from what is now a Maserati dealer in W. Palm Beach FL. (Chime in the "Twilight Zone" music.) :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I didn't know Sir Stirling's sister married Eric Carlsson! He was one of my heros on the Rally circuit. I bought one of the first Saab 99s that was imported in 1973.....and will love having the ignition switch on the floor again with my smart.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I guess the next thing to pump out our brain convolutions is to figure out what the "Stirling Moss Edition" smart 451 is, in basic configuration, color (colour) choice, and options & accessories.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Memory jogged

Sir Sterling himself ended his production rallying in 1954 with the Sunbeam/Rootes Group, but his younger sister, Pat Moss, had a long and productive career in rallying, including up on Saabs, and including her own personal Saab.

BTW, Pat married Erik Carlsson, for many years the king of the rallying Saabs.
You jogged my memory, Fish! Funny how that happens lately....;)
I had a 67 Sunbean Tiger and THAT is where I remember his name mentioned alot in newsbits from CAT (California Assoc. Of Tigers). I do also remember Pat Moss and the Carlsson name as well.
Thanks for that refreshment of mind....:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sir Stirling weighs in again...

The current (August) issue of Automobile Magazine has an article about Mercedes' final iteration of their SLR McLaren supercar, of which 75 examples are to be built. This one gets an all new roadster body and is called the SLR Stirling Moss. See it here.

Anyway, in the article, Sir Stirling is quoted as saying: "...I don't like driving on the road anymore. Too much traffic, too many people who don't know what they're doing. That's why the only car I own is the vintage OSCA that I still race occasionally. When a transportation need arises, I call a taxi or ask my wife Susie to chauffeur me in her smart."

Cheers,
Arch

1 - 12 of 12 Posts