Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This goes to folks still worried about 0 to 60 times. Cut it out. The smart 453 in STOCK form, with the BRABUS sports package is an extremely quick little micro car(t). It's too much fun.

I took it out on a private runway/race track today. Since it's technically a private runway in Central California used for landing skipper planes, I had the owner's permission to do what I wanted. :D

This car has POWER. Anybody believing a 451 is a good way to judge the 453, is sorely mistaken. They are two, completely different machines. The 451 was designed with fuel economy as priority, spoiled with extra naturally aspirated power and stiff suspension. The 453 was designed with SPEED and TURBO POWER as priority, spoiled with the inconvenience of fuel economy, emissions, and a need to increase comfort to appease mainstream buyers. :D

3200 rpms at 87 mph's, and 3800 rpms at 96 mph's... averaging about 32 mpg's during the process. And about 10% throttle pressure (if that).

100% bone stock BRABUS cabrio. There's no doubt that this is a FASTER model than the standard 453's which are already fast sports cars in my opinion. Like I've repeatedly said, anybody believing the 453 isn't fast is too stubborn to adjust for the 0.9L engine curve. And the BRABUS has to develop more power than the other 453's because the turbo spools more strongly from what I can tell. The same engine between BRABUS and non-BRABUS, but the turbo spools more strongly and for a longer duration allowing more spool at higher rpms. It's definitely more punchy around 2 to 4k rpms. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I think that’s wonderful but wouldnt Daimler have to run that separate from regular 453s through emissions testing if it has a different state of tune? As for the difference in turbo spooling, would that be a different wastegate or computer controlled? 0-60 times in comparison the regular 453 would be good to know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello

I just recently purchased a four two. I was told it was a brabus, However I can't find anything to tell me what it is. I see on the forum that members are talking about 450, 451,452,453, where do these numbers come from. How do I tell what I have.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello

I just recently purchased a four two. I was told it was a brabus, However I can't find anything to tell me what it is. I see on the forum that members are talking about 450, 451,452,453, where do these numbers come from. How do I tell what I have.
Post what you've got and we'll tell you.

The 450, 451, 452, and 453, are model/chassis codes. The 450 for all intents and purposes was not released in the U.S. The 451 is the '08 to '15 (gas) and '10 to '16 (electric). The 452 wasn't released in the U.S. The 453 is the latest generation smart, with significant power, equipment, and other upgrades. It is an entirely new platform.

The 453 electric is considerably enhanced over the 451 in comfort, equipment, safety, and refinement, although the electric range increases you may hear casually, are debatable. According to the EPA, the electric range has decreased in the latest generation model (453), primarily due to a stricter testing standard.

My opinion is that the real-world electric range is improved in the 453 under most circumstances (~90% of driving situations), and at its worst the range is identical to the 451 it replaces. Most importantly, the onboard charger of the 453 is significantly more powerful which should effectively extend the range of the 453 far above and beyond its predecessor due to its ability to recharge at more than twice the charging speed. I also believe the regenerative braking of the 453 is considerably more effective at extending range, even if the 451 utilizes D+ with the optional regenerative paddles. :nerd:

Back to the 453 gas w/ BRABUS. When driving aggressively, I'm turning between 27 and 32 mpg's. :eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info:
I am Canadian. I am guessing that I have a 451 as it is a 2013-3 cylinder gas engine. From what I can tell it was originally owned by a company called Car2Go. The dealer I purchased it from told me it was a Brabus due to the leather interior. I have looked through the manual and no info was found to support this.

I went on a long trip last week with the car and consumed a tank of gas. When I worked out the mileage which was combined hwy /city I received 49.7 Miles per imperial gallon (4.546 litres). Very impressed.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info:
I am Canadian. I am guessing that I have a 451 as it is a 2013-3 cylinder gas engine. From what I can tell it was originally owned by a company called Car2Go. The dealer I purchased it from told me it was a Brabus due to the leather interior. I have looked through the manual and no info was found to support this.

I went on a long trip last week with the car and consumed a tank of gas. When I worked out the mileage which was combined hwy /city I received 49.7 Miles per imperial gallon (4.546 litres). Very impressed.
Very unlikely that you have a BRABUS edition, you may have a material that is identical to the synthetic "MB Tex" leather that Mercedes-Benz used on many models in the 00's through ~'13's.

Your 451 was fuel economy first, the 453 I'm driving is strictly tuned for speed/power and could care less about fuel conservation.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks for the info:

Unfortunately the dealer lied to you, all the Canadian Car2Go were configured a bit differently. They sort of look like a Passion with the interior but have a different radio and steel wheels.

Canadian Brabus smarts will have Brabus badges on various parts of the car, including the front grill and tailgate. Also low profile Brabus wheels and tires, a B on the gas cap and twin rear tailpipe. They also only came in black or silver so if your car is white with a silver Tridion then it isn't a Brabus. Sorry.... eh.

Other then trim the Canadian Brabus is rated at exactly the same HP as the non Brabus. Something I wonder about given the different exhaust but that's what is claimed and other than the exhaust the motors are identical from what I gather.

Brabus smarts will look like this,

The Car2Go smarts are similarly configured like this one below. They had a JVC radio and steel wheels, some with hubcaps. When I did a VIN check they actually came back as Pure's however some of the trim including the seats made them look more like Passions. Don't remember what if any the tag on the door frame said.

2012 smart fortwo WE APPROVE ALL CREDIT - Mississauga $4,500 | autoTRADER.ca

1 - 8 of 8 Posts