Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My gas cap had the wire attached to it cut and the gas cap MIA. I know I securely put it on... Anyone have any recommendations for a new one? I can't seem to find any keyed ones. It's a 2015 Smart ForTwo Pure, gas.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 Smart fortwo Edition #1
57 Posts
My gas cap had the wire attached to it cut and the gas cap MIA. I know I securely put it on... Anyone have any recommendations for a new one? I can't seem to find any keyed ones. It's a 2015 Smart ForTwo Pure, gas.

I have an extra for a 2016

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,914 Posts
Welcome to SCoA.

A “keyed” gas cap, that’s so Old School!

Yes, gas is going up but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone siphoning gas from a smart?

After all, FULL the capacity is only 8ish gallons so the crime may net only a few gallons? Seems that there are many higher capacity (4 x4) targets?

The emissions system may throw a code if you run with no cap - just buy a $15 - 20 replacement.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Welcome to SCoA.

Yes, gas is going up but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone siphoning gas from a smart?

After all, FULL the capacity is only 8ish gallons so the crime may net only a few gallons? Seems that there are many higher capacity (4 x4) targets?

The emissions system may throw a code if you run with no cap - just buy a $15 - 20 replacement.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to SCoA.

Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking here over the past few years to help learn about this car.

Without a doubt it has. I have a check engine light-gonna try try dismissing the code with an OBD tool to see if I can avoid going to the dealership once I get the replacement. It ran 30 bucks after shipping/taxes. Luckily I'm not too far from a Smart Dealership; I currently have a rag jammed there to avoid any major evaporation. If this happens again I'm gonna rig my car with a mic and try to catch who's doing it. The weird thing about this is that the loose gas cap icon hasn't gone off through this... Only the check engine.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Welcome to SCoA.

I had a keyed cap till 2018, I say i had because a crow stole it when I placed it on the top of my car when filling the tank. I had chromed key entry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts