Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I play the tuba in several groups. It appeared to me when I did the test drive, that the behind the seat cargo area in the Smart would be sufficient to store my instrument while travelling between gigs. I base this on a comparison of the behind-the-rear seat storage of my wife's Pontiac Vibe, which looked similar in size to what I would estimate the 8'8" American Fortwo version to be. My horn has a 19" diameter bell and I travel with a soft sided case. Also, I am a powerlifter/bodybuilder weighing in at about 265lbs(5'10") and I think it would be a fun visual to climb out of this little car and drag my horn out of the back! Of course if it doesn't fit, I have the ability to put it in the passenger seat, like I did years ago when I drove a Ford Festiva. Anyway, there's my challenge and my thinking-comment if you wish, ignore me if you don't!

523 Posts
My challenge is to fit my upright bass in the Smart after folding the passenger seat flat. I measured from inside rear to dashboard and it is going to be close. Gotta go play my bluegrass!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I think in the next life it's a piccolo for me. Anyway, in looking at the Euro-Smarts that they let us test drive, and knowing that the US market is getting a car that's 8 inches longer, I'm expecting it ought to work out. As I said, I'll find a way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My challenge is to fit my upright bass in the Smart after folding the passenger seat flat. I measured from inside rear to dashboard and it is going to be close. Gotta go play my bluegrass!!
Do you have the measurements? I'm interested in both the standup bass question and the recurring sword carrying golf bag question.

523 Posts
I measured the inside from the tailgate to the dash and to the windshield when the tour was at my dealer but I did not write the measurements down. I think that I will need something on the back of the folded seat to raise the neck of the bass to get it above the dashboard. I think it will go over the dash a couple inches but be away from the windshield.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Find the BobDiaz LA Auto Show threads...

He took a LOT of photos and some with a tape measure showing most of the dimensions you guys are interested in

1 - 7 of 7 Posts