Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, today on my way to work. I noticed the car was louder then normal, nothing felt different. But there where more rattling and the engine was sounding more and more like a race car, not sure if that's the best way to describe it.

when I got to work I looked at the back and noticed that my tale pipe was now sort of imbedded in my plastic black apron. it has melted a notch in it, oh something's wrong. I was able at that time to push it away from the apron.

A few hours later I want out with some wire and tide the muffler away from the apron. and took a close look at it. It looks fine, I didn't see any corrosion or rust. the two brackets on each side look good. the mesh covered pipe running back to the engine looked ok. and yet it was sort of lose.

on my trip home at first it sounds fine but as it get hotter the noise gets worse. Once home with the car turned off I noticed there is a lot more metal cracklings noises coming from the engine around where the muffler pipe meets the engine.

I'm pretty sure I have a hole around there somewhere.

I'm going to have to take it to Midus this coming Saturday, hope they can fix it.

has this happened to anyone else????

·
Registered
738 Posts
Strange you should have said this, for yesterday, I noticed that my smartbiru's tailpipe had done the very same thing to the plastic. I could have sworn it was underneath it the week before. Of course, that was before I'd driven it to Manhattan and then to DC the week before. Had also noticed a much louder exhaust. Don't have the car with me now until the 4th. I think a part of the exhaust is broken.

What did you find out?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Wahi, just got back from Midus, he could not get a muffler for it, and was afraid to try and fit a new flex pipe in there.

it's the flex pipe, and Midus had a concern about getting the flange off the engine because mine is very corroded. The muffler is fine it's the small flex pipe from the muffler to the engine. It makes sense thin metal getting very hot then cooling fast equals corrosion.

Now I'm in a search for a used cheep muffler, I'm going to try SmartMadness and the Market place here. Also from the post here I could try a small muffler shop hoping they have the artistry to shape and weld a section of flex pipe on it. And down the road I'm going to be looking for a new apron.

I'm guessing your in the same boat.

Later on today I got to try and re-tie my muffler back away from the apron, it's back up against the apron again.

Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Exact thing happened to my '09. I used my razor knife to cut away the melted plastic and now it looks like a factory detail. My information is that this is a common problem, though the solutions vary. I'm looking for a better video and better info on how to get at the flex pipe and those troublesome fasteners.
P.S....Love the sound. Wife? Not so much.
Z

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Update, Called SmartMadness Yesterday and got the following costs, also please note they are currently out of stock on the OEM mufflers but check back in a week or so. But they do have SILA side exit mufflers in stock.

OEM muffler - $349.99
SILA Side Exit muffler - $399.99

Ouch, it's hard to go down this path knowing that our mufflers are fine it's the ($30.00) flex pipe that bad.

Oh, and let's not forget, Labor

Midus, I ask them about how much it would cost if I get my hands on a muffler, how much would it cost me if they put it on.

I'll also need a new flange (gasket) $6.99 hope that comes with bolts

Midus Labor per hour $109.00 (he thinks it would only take an hour)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Not so strange muffler problem

Re-tied the muffler away from the apron today and while I was down there took a close look at the pipe section connecting to the motor. where the gasket is the only thing that I see corrosion on is the two bolt or nut attaching them. Inside bolt/nut clean. Outside bolt/nut very corroded.

I found a clear line of sight to where the gasket is. and I'm assuming that would be where you would use your tool to connect and disconnect it.

That has to be a nut and bolt thing, I'm going to have to replace them.

So now I'm sure that my leak is somewhere within the metal mesh area, I could not find it.

I found two more muffler repair shop in my area. that sort of indicates custom work, I'm going to give them a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, I know I'm going to need to replace the bolts. All I know is to remove them I'll need a E12 socket, and that they are metric 12mm

can anyone tell me more? and a source other than the dealer

Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, it's fixed, I found a place that replaced the flex pipe.

Great guys, in the Lehigh Valley PA area:

Meineke 1019,
2717 MacArthur Road, Whitehall, PA 18052-3632,
(610) 820-9640

my cost was $409.00

One of the things that helped was that I removed the back black apron it made access easy and didn't look so impossible to do.

here's a few pictures

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Changed my oil today and took a close look at things done yesterday.
I should have stayed, I'm guessing when he looked for the two screws in the engine bay, I told him about, for the heat shield. He had an issue with the felt lining. Because now about a little more of an 1/8 of it has been pulled out, above where those screws are.

Well from what I could see, or want to see, the heat shield is in place, but I'm betting he never found those screws.

My fault, I should not have left.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
The new flex pipe appears to be shorter than original...The engine rocks considerably and there needs to be significant travel in the flex section to reduce fatigue...Depending on quality of flex pipe, welds, etc... May last a long time, may not... Let's hope for a long time...:wink:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hope, yes, I think that's what he had on hand. And what do I know.

Everything's fine, hoping, hoping

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened to me. But mine came apart from the muffler. This is a huge safety problem and I am now worried about a fire! Mine is a 2009. I have also noticed the engine now idles a little hire and it shift harder. The car acts like it wants to take off fast in reverse and first with out pushing on the gas. When I first bought the car Smart Center had to replace the head gasket at 26K miles. I love the car but really worried about my saftey.

·
Super Moderator
11,221 Posts
Since everything is made of plastic, you have a legitimate concern. Hot exhaust can easily melt plastic, I would get it replaced ASAP. I replaced mine when it started to get louder and before it was broken all the way through. I picked up a used exhaust and so far it has worked well. I replaced all the bolts with stainless steel bolts to make it easier next time.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I love my Brabus exhaust. I also installed the Brabus rear valance painted gloss black. Sounds great and not too loud. Actually, all it is is a stock muffler with center exhaust tips.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
...and according to Brabus, it is all stainless! Therefore, all the rust I see on my original muffler should not recur.
ALL stainless, did not know that? Thought they were basically same as OEM passion with a relocated exhaust outlet?

Here's a used one from out in the wild . . .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts