Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2011 Smart with 92,000 miles. All original except tires, air filter, coils and plugs. Just started making a strange noise when the brakes are applied at lower speeds. Sounds like the horn, only not as loud. I disconnected the horn as an experiment but it still does it. It is not a continuous or consistent noise either. Just happens a few times per commute and at lower speeds. I can tap the brakes and it usually stops. Braking ability has not suffered. Any idea where I should start looking? :shrug:
Thanks, Brett

·
Super Moderator
29,390 Posts
Your brake pads have finally worn out.....noise is from the wear indicators mounted on the pads. Time for new pads and rotors. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,854 Posts
Rotors need to be replaced when they are below spec and/or are warped, etc. They don't need to necessarily be replaced every the pads are changed. If yours are original at 92K, I'd say they are due, but it's pretty unlikely that they made it to 92K without at least one change in the past.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 16,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 7,500 miles

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, they are the originals. I bought the car brand new off the showroom floor in early 2011. The car is pretty much just a daily commuter for work. 30 miles each way with a little city driving at each end of the commute. I'll change out rotors and pads.

Thanks, Brett

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Is this the same car that gave you codes and engine concerns. Were new ignition coils and plugs the fix for those issues. Did you ever find a chip for it. While you are underneath your Smart, have every bushing and pivot points on that chassis lubed up with silicone spray lube and it will fell as good or better then when you first took it home.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Changing brake pads,and drum shoes??...............

With all the miles,you may want to check condition of rear drum/shoes. I HIGHLY recommend usiing ceramic pads on the
front. Eliminates all brake dust probles. I clean/detail my wheels once per year. The ceramic pads are also long wearing. I
installed mine 4 years ago. At my 6year service,was told I have 70percent left on front pads................

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, this is the same car I was getting codes on. I changed the coils and plugs but still got miss fire codes. They needed changing anyway. I was scheduled to take it to MBI in Portland but they were very helpful and said with the high miles on the car I should do a compression check before I brought it in. Said I may have low compression because of the high miles, causing the miss fire codes. I did a check and found that cylinder #2 was about 25% lower than the other cylinders. I figured that the engine was going to take some major work. As a last ditch method I tried a can of Engine Restore in the oil. After about 2 weeks the engine light went off and the car is running smoother and my gas milage went back up to what it was. I've probably gone 2,500 mile or more with no problems. I know this is a cheap and temporary fix but if I can have the car pass emission tests next spring and get tags for another cycle I'm hoping this little commuter car will get me to retirement in a few years. Thanks for all the help folks!!
Brett

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
your 'fix' is pretty common. There are a number of owners that use Marvel Mystery Oil every so often to keep the top end lubricated and even out the compression. I suspect it is a ring sticking thing, or maybe a valve thing, I don't know, but I know it works. Worth picking up a bottle and adding a few oz per tank fill say every 4 or 5 fills.

And replace the brake pads with ceramic pads to help minimize that black dust from the brakes. Much easier to clean off the rims.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
your 'fix' is pretty common. There are a number of owners that use Marvel Mystery Oil every so often to keep the top end lubricated and even out the compression. I suspect it is a ring sticking thing, or maybe a valve thing, I don't know, but I know it works. Worth picking up a bottle and adding a few oz per tank fill say every 4 or 5 fills.

And replace the brake pads with ceramic pads to help minimize that black dust from the brakes. Much easier to clean off the rims.
Marvel Mystery Oil ☺. The tried and tested. The more things change the more they stay the same. Excellent!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts