Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start my 2008 Passion and the dash lights etc., flickered on/off rapidly. Turned key to start - Nothing. Check battery (ok) check grounds and connections (ok) No clue. New battery (Jan 2014) fine up until now. Ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have it on charge now. I don't have a full charger, just a trickle charger. The charger is indicating 50% charge. If it won't charge fully, I'll take it back to battery shop for replacement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been on trickle charge for two days. Doesn't seem to want to go to full charge. Of course I cannot get it out of Park into neutral. Next step is to remove battery from car, bench charge it and try again.No Smart dealerships or authorized Benz dealership close by. Tow bill will be enormous.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
It can take several days for a battery to fully charge on a trickle charger. If your battery is an AGM (absorbed glass mat) and has been discharged, you may have to replace it as AGM batteries, so I have been told, will not recharge if they become totally discharged. A smart car has a lot of parasitic draw just sitting, especially if you have the comfort package with auto lights and wipers. Turn these functions off, if you will not be using the car for awhile, to lessen the parasitic draw on the battery. I hardwired a charging cable, so that I can quickly connect my maintenance charger without pulling up the carpet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts