Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with the new 453 model noticed any stress cracks appearing on the edge of your Panoramic Roof? My 453 will be 1 year old later this week. I never had this problem show up on my previous 451 model. The cracks are about 7'' from the front edge of the panoramic roof and appear on the driver and passenger sides. They appear to be not much more than 1'' from the sides but I'm guessing these stress cracks are fairly new and will travel like a crack on a windshield over time. I'm going in to see my dealer in the morning so they can assess the problem and check to see if it's all covered under warranty. I've driven 38,000 KM (18,000 miles).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Yeah, looks more serious than the cosmetic crazing on the 451 pano roofs. Hope this isn't the start of a trend. Let us know what the dealer feedback is. :)

·
17,479 Posts
Wowzers, I wonder if anyone sat on your roof or something? That looks like it cracked straight through. Not even the 451s did that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can assure you that nobody sat on my roof. Yup, the crack is straight through. That is why I'm wasting no time in getting to the dealer with this issue. I'm worried that with the wet freezing weather that will soon be upon us, the melting and freezing of water may expand things even more and let moisture enter where moisture was not meant to go.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You should be able to get a replacement roof under warranty. While you are waiting for your new roof to be installed, you may want to seat up the cracks with some clear silicone, if you are worried about moisture incursion.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I personally would not touch until Dealer has looked at. Not leaving them a way out of claim.
Just saying.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I agree with Ray L. Let the dealer see the cracks and I would insist that they take photos for their records before attempting to try & temporarily seal them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I totally agree with not touching it until warranty claim approval is provided from smart. If there is a lengthy delay, I will either ask them to fill it or ask for their permission in writing to fill in the cracks until the repairs can be done. I'm not taking any chances when it comes to warranty issues.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm happy to report that the panoramic roof on my 2016 smart will be replaced under warranty. Let's just hope that I'm a one-off case and we won't hear about this issue ever again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts