Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strike again in France. This time transport workers, including the rail workers who move the new smarts from Hambach, Fr to Zeebrugge, Bg for ocean shipment. M-B/smart should have built an assembly plant over here.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I would rather have a European car built in Europe. I can recall the problems VW had when they transfered North American production to Mexico. Reliability really took a hit. And MB with the first generation M class. Those things were plauged with electrical problems. I will take my chances with a strike or two than shotty reliability, especially with such a small warranty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Honda Builds cars in Ohio and they are very reliable. European cars are less reliable. That is one reason Peugeot, Fiat and Renault no longer sell cars here.

I owned a first Gen MINI. Driving 99 miles for service is no fun. These better be reliable.

·
Super Moderator
29,302 Posts
Just my .02, but reliability, or lack of it, is not tied to specific countries. Honda, Fiat, Peugeot, etc. all sell well in their home markets; they wouldn't if they weren't reliable. The models that are no longer sold here were made 20 to 30 years ago; things have changed and the Japanese makers raised the bar for everyone. IMO, it's not the country, it's the values and culture of the manufacturer that ultimately determine a car's reliability.

·
Smartmadness.com
1,216 Posts
Not a strike again.... ahhh let the stikes happen after we get some deliveries atleast but not before. This is insane they need to have temps to fill in for those union workers who want to play games and go on stike. Im sure there are others willing to train to do their job for them.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Not a strike again.... ahhh let the stikes happen after we get some deliveries atleast but not before. This is insane they need to have temps to fill in for those union workers who want to play games and go on stike. Im sure there are others willing to train to do their job for them.
Hiring temporary replacement workers in France won't happen. but strikes are short, never more than a day a month or perhaps 3 or 4 days in a row every so often

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
From my long military tours in Europe it also became apperant that many "strikes" seemed to cluster around holidays, soccer games, and regional / national festivals (mass excuse to drink much beer an wine)

I never did figure out how to determine who "won" in the strike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts