Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a continuation of the shuttering brake problem I had. You can find that thread under that name. That problem was the result of the service shop using an impact wrench to tighten my three lug bolts. With that problem solved I now found another they caused. One of the lug bolt holes on the front hub was stripped. Man, I am really annoyed with them. I can't ride around with a wheel that is designed for three bolts and be using only two.

Well problem solved. I found online a tool that will repair wheel hubs. But first let's clear up some misconceptions on how to fix them. One you can't weld then drill and tap because that will ruin the hub with all the heat (cast steel). And, second you can't use a Heliocoil because they will just spin in the hole due to the fact Helicoils are designed to bottom out as a way of preventing spinning (hub hole is open in the back). So what is left is a "Time Sert". It is taking me longer to type this message then it was to fix the hub hole with Time Sert. I have included pics to show damaged threads, repaired hole and an extra insert for show, and the tool kit label in case you are interested in ordering should you have this problem in the future. I bought the whole kit because I did not have the drill bit 31/64, a counter sink drill bit, and both the M12x1.5 tap and the M14x1.5 tap.The kit also includes easy to follow instructions. The only extra step I took aside from the instructions was to use Loctite sleeve retainer when I screwed in the Time Sert insert. The kit costs 89.00 but it is well worth it. If you have all the bits and taps then you can just order the inserts. They cost less than 2.00 each.

Let me know if you have any questions about this repair.

Hlf Pnt

Attachments

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Stripped wheel bolt hub repair:

I would go back to the shop and ask them to recompense you for the purchase of the special tool and you labor.:(

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am seriously thinking of going back to talk to the manager/owner. The first problem I found just caused me labor (slowly and very carefully grinding the hub true again) and the seconf problem was the stripped bolt hole. This last job caused very little labor but the purchase of an expensive tool. Still the tool was better to purchase than having the front wheel hub R&R with new or even used hub. I'll let you know how the talk turns out.

Again lesson learned is to tell your NonSmart service shop NOT to use an impact wrench on your wheels.

Hlf Pnt

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
YUP, 81 pounds torque with a Torque Wrench ~ That's it ~ No More...!!! No Tire Monkey has ever touched a Lug-Bolt on my Smart.
That's well below what Tire Monkey's guns are set at...!!!
I wish Smart had 4 Stud Wheels, and Lug-Nuts (easy fix)...!!!...???...<:-(( MB, what were you thinking...???

·
Registered
329 Posts
Jeesh, never noticed how minimal that flange is. Rule of thumb for steel in steel is one bolt diameter of thread engagement minimum. I would think maybe more when it's holding your wheel on?

·
Registered
14 Posts
It looks like it would've been cheaper to just replace the entire hub. It's $30.79 for a front hub at RockAuto, plus whatever a shop would charge to press one in. They also look like they're slightly redesigned and have more material for the bolts to thread into than the originals.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I change my Oil, Filter, and Rotate my tires every 5000 miles, so the Lug-Bolts get a dab of Anti-Seize to keep them fine threads from Galling that you get from dry thread Stiction, after many removals ... Can't afford to be wrecking them Hub Threads..YUP

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
It looks like it would've been cheaper to just replace the entire hub. It's $30.79 for a front hub at RockAuto, plus whatever a shop would charge to press one in. They also look like they're slightly redesigned and have more material for the bolts to thread into than the originals.
Sorry to say the front hub that Rock Auto has listed is not correct for a 451..:(
The listing for the rear hub is correct...:wink:

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
They used the same TimeSerts to repair the spark plug holes on my Expedition. Ford made the heads too thin and it was common to blow out plugs on the 1999-2000 5.4L (?) models. had 6 of the 8 fixed before I scrapped the truck. Ford never paid for a single repair of the spark plug holes, but they had a service procedure for how to fix it....

·
Registered
42 Posts
jimvw57 , do you have all the same size tires all the way around to be able to rotate ? or do you just rotate the fronts and do just the backs ?

Thanks, atvings

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
Nope. stock Pure rims all the way around, however I do have snow tires I put on during the colder/snow months. Makes a big difference. I will be looking for some new skins for summer this spring. Last set were Kumhos and they performed quite well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts