Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How crazy would it be to run a subwoofer from the head unit without an amp?
I have a Pioneer AVIC-X950BH. Pioneer says a single sub can be driven from two rear channels at up to 70 watts @ 2 ohms.
I'm sure the sound won't be spectacular, but would it be worthwhile to do this? I'm really just looking for a little better sound quality when the volume is higher due to ambient muffler/road noise.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Why not pick up a cast off Radio ten sub woofer that fits under the driver's seat. You can really feel it in the seat of your pants, literally. :D
I find mine to be totally adequate, and it has it's own built in amp albeit a small one, and it plugs right into the existing harness under the driver's seat.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
John, are you using the stock speakers or have you already upgraded them?
A Sub driven directly of the radio would probably not do what you want, in fact it may sound worse.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The under-seat factory sub is an option, but since I'm not using the factory radio, I'm not sure how optimal that will be.
I have the Polk DB6501 component set, which I may install today. I was going to see how it sounds after the speaker upgrade, then go forward with the sub if I'm not happy. Perhaps an aftermarket powered sub?
I have the Polk DB651 coaxials in the other car, and I'm ok with them, but not blown away. Honestly, I asked Barney if he upgraded the speakers in the Applecrate because I thought they sounded as good as my other car. He didn't. It was just standard Radio 9 factory setup. I put the Pioneer in last summer, but hadn't done the speakers yet.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I upgraded my radio and speakers from the infamous smart premium system and I'm using the factory sub with polks. You can do this but there is a pair of wires that feed the sub that have to move. Originally smart did something like the "front" left channel and the "right" rear channel to feed the sub . I have mine set so that the polks are "front" on my pioneer radio and the "rear" on the pioneer are the factory tweeters and sub. I can balance them via the fader on the radio. I know it doesn't make much sense but there is somewhere on the site explaining this . I think "smart Digger" was the one that detailed it.
Kevin

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I think I remember reading about the pin outs for the radio wiring and specifically for the Radio 10 sub on Evilution.
Where are you going to place the tweeters?
The main thing I dislike about my radio 10 is the complete lack of a rear sound stage. I've been tempted to put in Polks, but I really would want to add those rear speakers. I'm not very motivated since I'm too busy listening to the sounds of the smart as I use the paddle shifters. I never leave it in auto mode for long. I always want a little more performance. I still wish my Brabus had come with its missing Euro turbo package.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spent a good part of yesterday cleaning up my original head unit installation. Lots of long wire lengths that needed to be re-routed and secured. GPS antenna, bluetooth mic, and SiriusXM antrenna cables are long enough to reach the back of a normal car and I have everything in the dash area.
After agonizing and investigating, I put the tweeters in the a/c vents. They look good, I'll post a pic later, but I still have to install the driver's door speaker and wire the crossovers. Maybe tonight for the speaker. Wiring may wait for the weekend.
Sorry about the missing turbo! >:D

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Isn't fun tidying enough wire that would work for 2 smarts?
I'm starting a project on my son's smart. The entryline radio HAS to go!! He'll get a full blown navigator radio similar to my setup...
(I hope my back holds up so I can climb under the dash to "tidy" up the wiring when the time comes.)

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
That's a very slick install (or installation for the purists....) The tweeters go well with the old style vents - not sure they would work so well with the 2011 and later vents. Kudos! :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
VERY nice job placing the tweeters, clean looking, I like it. I have had a LOT of speakers over the years and I am now using Phoenix Gold speakers They REALLY hit hard and have excellent sound range.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I REALLY like the look of the tweeters on top of the vents. They look like they are supposed to be there, and like the original location, they bounce the sound off the glass giving a better sound dispersion, I'm sure.
There are certain design cues that really add to the overall appearance, and this is a very pleasing enhancement to an otherwise plain plastic feature.
Nice design work John!

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the compliments, but I can't take credit for the idea. I found it on the Evilution website.
Thanks Kane!

·
Registered
536 Posts
It looks great, and if it sounds good to you, that is all that matters. Tweeters, however, really should be aimed across the car to the center of the opposite side window for the best acoustics. The range at which you are hitting the windshield glass is not dispersing, or "bouncing". It's deadening.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. I'll take that under advisement, but I am happy enough with the sound to duplicate the install in one of my other two smarts.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Great job John...it looks fantastic and like it was designed that way from the factory. (That actually is a compliment.) Let me know if you need or want the factory sub that goes under the seat as I have one (not in the car) that I will never use.
Mick

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Doc. I just made a deal on an underdash sub for the Applecrate, but maybe the underseat would be an option for the Orangecrate. I'll let you know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts