Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
subaru sells enough cars in the US to support a TV ad campaign, smart does not. TV is expen$ive. one of the national smart guys at some event awhile back spoke about how much that TV thing cost them per car. don't recall the figure but it wasn't sustainable.

except for occasionally and regionally I wouldn't expect smart to have too many TV ads.

maybe the national roll-out of the ED, maybe the 453, who knows. but their ad budget seems to be directed other ways.

critical mass is a wonderful thing when you reach it. when they have the sales to pay for modding the forfour to US spec maybe they'll have the dealer network and the momentum to run some national TV ads.

·
17,350 Posts
Or they can try viral marketing. Pretty much every automaker has a YouTube channel nowadays and many run very successful ad campaigns online. And online ad campaigns are dirt cheap...

In fact, part of the whole concept of the Social Media Preview for the Chicago Auto Show is to promote the idea of viral marketing.

Just...not "Against Dumb" again.

·
Registered
465 Posts
They don't pay for the advertising. YOU do! Average of 6% on every new car last figures I saw. Probably higher now.
On the average $15,000 Smart car that would be $900. Obscene amount just so you can be pummeled by the same car ad every 5-10 minutes of TV watching.

Typical new car would be $2000 of purchase price you pay for annoyance! >:D

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Subaru, is a safe family vehicle. Their selling cars too. They always aim their commercials towards family values. smart had a commercial, on how you can carry a large SUV on its roof. Big MB must have some budget for commerials someplace.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Why do I have to pay for smart commercials...I am tired of paying for smart commercials...why should I have to use my hard earned money to subsidize advertising for smart...if the commercials cannot make it on their own then they should fail...WAIT A MINUTE... that is the tax rebate anti-electric vehicle rhetoric mixed with smart commercial advertising... my bad lol :)

·
Banned
682 Posts
I would see no valid reason for Smart/Mercedes to spend much effort on TV ads at the current time...the 451 is "long in the tooth"...and scheduled to be phased out soon...

·
17,350 Posts
Good point Houston! The 451 is a dying breed. Not worth depleting the budget for a car that won't be around much longer.

They could advertise the ED though...that seems to be a crowd favourite and it's not due to be replaced until 2016-2017.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
The issue with smart. They took forever, to run TV spots. With out advertisement. You don't sell product. That been the issue with smart here since it introduction here. No visibility of the brand. The ED they only sell in regional areas in the national. Not a wide spread product available.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
here you go:

"We're excited to announce that the "Offroading" spot that many of you have seen will be running during Sunday's game. You can catch the spot in select markets in CA and OR but in the meantime feel free to share it with your friends to help us spread the word nationally. The is a first for smart so we're really looking forward to it!"

·
17,350 Posts
here you go:

"We're excited to announce that the "Offroading" spot that many of you have seen will be running during Sunday's game. You can catch the spot in select markets in CA and OR but in the meantime feel free to share it with your friends to help us spread the word nationally. The is a first for smart so we're really looking forward to it!"
So...while everyone has spent millions and millions of dollars making a cool Super Bowl commercial for everyone to see, Mercedes is re-running an old ad and only playing it in just two markets????

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
if you've never read shakespeare does that make it irrelevant old news?
most people haven't seen this ad. it got reasonably good reviews from this forum. now you don't want people to see it? if they can't broadcast in all 50 states they shouldn't broadcast anywhere?

tough crowd.

·
17,350 Posts
That's not what I'm saying. :)

There's nothing wrong with the ad at all. It's just that it's piss poor execution to use an old ad for the Super Bowl in just two states.

The average Super Bowl ad costs several times more than a regular ad. In 2013, it averaged out to be $4 million just for one 30 second spot. And it's due to grow even more for this year.

I'd rather have them run the ad in 50 states for an entire day rather than in just two states for the Super Bowl.

I want smart to advertise just as much as anyone else, but the Super Bowl is the dumbest decision since "Against Dumb", especially if 96% of the country isn't even going to see it. That's four million effectively down the drain...

And why those two states? I know there's going to be a lot of West Coast viewers, but smart sales on the West Coast are exceptional. So much that our beloved Kamaal ordered 115 cars!

Why not two struggling markets instead? Like two areas in the Midwest?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
"Why not two struggling markets instead? Like two areas in the Midwest?"

sometimes ad dollars are more prudently spent to maintain good sales in existing markets than to create new sales in slow markets. go figure.

;-)

·
17,350 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
"My ad's definitely going to be Apple."

come to NY, we have 5 (soon to be 6) Apple stores within walking distance. quite the grand tour.

I'm probably the only one who dreads Chrysler/Fiat's ads...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
three union jack wrapped jaguar f-types running in parade mode around manhattan today with big "#f-type" on the side.

·
Registered
462 Posts
That offroading ad is brilliant. Nothing wrong with running it here (most Americans have not seen the ad).

And the stronger hold smart gains regionally means the more likely it'll spread around better :]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts