Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, but didn't find what I was after. Can someone tell me the size of the OEM subwoofer speaker under the driver's seat? I'd like to replace it. The speakers in the doors are dry rot, and I suspect the sub isn't too far behind.

Thanks!

Kevin

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did a search, but didn't find what I was after. Can someone tell me the size of the OEM subwoofer speaker under the driver's seat? I'd like to replace it. The speakers in the doors are dry rot, and I suspect the sub isn't too far behind.

Thanks!

Kevin
What generation smart do you have ie 450, 451, 453, roadster, etc

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just read on clubsmartcar.com that there are 2 tweeters in the dash if you have the 6-disc CD radio, which I do (did). So, the sound I heard coming from the dash was real. PHEW! Mind still intact...sort of...lol Now, to decide if I should keep the 4-way Pioneers I just bought (haven't installed yet), or get a set that include discreet tweeters. Decisions, decisions...

Doug, any idea what size the subwoofer is?

·
Registered
218 Posts

Thanks!

Kevin

Kevin, I would junk that OEM subwoofer, it's a POS.

I picked up a self amplified Kenwood 8" subwoofer for $149 two months ago from Crutchfield (but you may do better on Amazon) it fits neatly under either seat. Combined with JBL 6" midrange/tweeter combo in the doors and the JBL factory tweeters... It sounds great, affordable and worth every penny!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trust me I have the pioneer two ways in mine also with the factory tweeters and the factory sub and sounds great
I'll probably keep the factory tweeters for now just because I don't feel like tearing the dash out. But, I suspect the factory sub is dry rot or close since the passenger side door speaker was.

Kevin, I would junk that OEM subwoofer, it's a POS.

I picked up a self amplified Kenwood 8" subwoofer for $149 two months ago from Crutchfield (but you may do better on Amazon) it fits neatly under either seat. Combined with JBL 6" midrange/tweeter combo in the doors and the JBL factory tweeters... It sounds great, affordable and worth every penny!
I have some nice, 5.25 Pioneer subwoofers of which one I'd like to put in the existing box. That's why I was looking to find out what size is in there now. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on this (I paid $3000 for it) as it's just temporary while I finish up my SLK. Though, this little convert is certainly fun to drive, and I'm resisting the urge to remap the ECU. :nerd:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had to take out the drivers seat a few months ago and took a look at mine it’s either a 5 1/2 or 6 sub I’m sure you can pull it out and replace it easily. I’m boom mine till it blows and then find out. But I’m sure a good aftermarket speaker in the factory sub box would sound better and be a cheap upgrade

1 - 8 of 8 Posts