Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys looking to put a subwoofer into the smart Car trunk lid. Any suggestions?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't put a box in the box just for space constraints. I was thinking about having the subwoofers in the back and having s detachable and foldable snap on box whenever I don't need the space

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can't put a box in the box just for space constraints. I was thinking about having the subwoofers in the back and having s detachable and foldable snap on box whenever I don't need the space

if you dont want to use up too much space JL audio has the stealthbox that fits under the dash .. it's a 8 inch sub and i havent heard it personnally but reviews are great. If that alone isnt enough you could also build a box that replaces the foam just over the battery

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know which one you're talking about but tbh its quite expensive for an 8". Like 250 just box and speaker that doesn't include an amp for it

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was seeing which speaker could fit in the back in trunk without the lid and make like a custom box

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha. What speaker would you recommended that a normal sub but on the smallish side and is powerful

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
If you're looking for the unconventional approach and something that's doesn't take up your cargo area you might want to consider a small computer sound system that consists of 2 satellite speakers and a small subwoofer like the Altec Lansing AC44.

Now before you laugh, I put 2 of these systems in my Smart and they really kick a$$. They might not move your hair but they will shake the windshield loose. You don't get the deep deep sub frequencies from about 50 hz down, but they do a respectable job. I mounted the 4 satellites on an aluminum bar behind the seats.

Both subs I mounted together and both fit snuggly in behind the glove box.

Power amp is built into the subwoofer. Now the only 2 problems was they run on 120 VAC so I added a 200 watt power inverter. Second I added a line level converter to connect the radio because the entryline radio didn't have line level outs. The entryline radio sounds very good with the system. I can listen to the stock radio as usual and when I want it loud I flip the power switch to the power inverter and it kicks into afterburner. I like unconventional solutions to problems. Back in the 70's I modified a home stereo for use on my old 65 Chevy Chevelle. That car got broken into 2 different times and the stero stolen out of it because several people wanted it. One system would have been plenty inside the little interior of the Smart. There isn't much interior space so a small amount of wattage goes a long way in a Fortwo. It can get critically loud quickly. I like loud but it has to be clean. I can't stand distortion or clipping in my music.I'm gonna update my radio though because I need bluetooth for my phone.
Last item to consider if you go with a large audio amp is some of them draw a fair amount of amperage peak to peak from the 12 volt system and the Smart is already heavily taxed in the electrical department, so be mindful that strange things can pop up if voltage starts varying from a inconsistent amperage draw from an amp, and God knows there's very little room for an extra battery. I'm sure you'll find the right solution. Good luck and please keep us posted on your final result.,DCO

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Near ideas! But I'm looking for an actual subwoofer that would fit. I was looking at panzer opti series 6000 watt subwoofer would that fit?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Near ideas! But I'm looking for an actual subwoofer that would fit. I was looking at panzer opti series 6000 watt subwoofer would that fit?

I'm not familiar with those, but I used to run 2 Kicker Solobaric L5 8" subs behind the seats in a Fiero, and they were almost too much..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm the type of guy that thinks that more is better but I'm trying to figure out how much wattage would I actually need in a smart car so it can either lift my hair up a little bit or til it just sounds good

·
Registered
598 Posts
Unfortunately, you cannot break the laws of audio physics. To get hair moving bass, you have to move a LOT of air. To move a LOT of air, you need a large driver, a lot of power driving it, and a large enclosure. The smart does not afford much room for a large enclosure.
That said, there are alternatives that will give you solid bass without taking up your cargo space. After looking at a lot of different options, i decided on this for my smart.
https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KSC-SW11-Compact-Enclosed-Subwoofer/dp/B00BO8O9XQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477751900&sr=8-1&keywords=kenwood+powered+sub
I did this in conjunction with replacing the door speakers, adding 2 4" speakers to the rear cargo area, and a new head unit. All working together gives some serious kick ass sound. The sub is mounted behind the drivers seat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unfortunately, you cannot break the laws of audio physics. To get hair moving bass, you have to move a LOT of air. To move a LOT of air, you need a large driver, a lot of power driving it, and a large enclosure. The smart does not afford much room for a large enclosure.
That said, there are alternatives that will give you solid bass without taking up your cargo space. After looking at a lot of different options, i decided on this for my smart.
https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KSC-SW11-Compact-Enclosed-Subwoofer/dp/B00BO8O9XQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477751900&sr=8-1&keywords=kenwood+powered+sub
I did this in conjunction with replacing the door speakers, adding 2 4" speakers to the rear cargo area, and a new head unit. All working together gives some serious kick ass sound. The sub is mounted behind the drivers seat.
I know there isn't a lot of room for an enclosure that's why I was thinking about putting the speakers in the cargo space and making a collaspable box for the speakers

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have a video?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts