Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Smart Fortwo ED3 451
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people.

Normally after I start my ED3 in the morning there's no regen before about three miles of driving. And it comes little by little.
I think regen starts working only after the battery is warmed up during normal operation of the motor.
BUT lately, I get an instant regen after starting a cold car, and what is even stranger is, the charge gauge (the one on the right) shows about 97% charge as compared to a 100% before.
At the end of the day the electrical consumption seems to be the same, or a little more, but could anyone explain this mystery please?
The only difference that I can see is, that the temperature outside is very hot compared to the outside temperature before this phenomena ...

Thank you :)

·
Registered
2014 Cabriolet bought in Sept 2016 with 6,470 mi
76 Posts
If you always have a fully charged car in the morning, you won't get any regen until the battery drains a bit. For me it's usually a couple miles. I've only had the regen not work when the battery is less than fully charged a few times and always on the same stretch of road leading up to a stop sign for some reason I have never figured out.

·
Registered
Smart Fortwo ED3 451
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you always have a fully charged car in the morning, you won't get any regen until the battery drains a bit.
You mean regen has nothing to do with the battery's temperature, but has a lot to do with the battery's % of charge?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
394 Posts
You mean regen has nothing to do with the battery's temperature, but has a lot to do with the battery's % of charge?
Thanks.
Well, yeah. If the battery is 100% charged, regen can't use the motor to apply current to recharge the battery, so it won't have that familiar slowing down feeling as you go down a hill or let off the accerator, not until you have some depletion of battery charge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts