Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,

First- Hi Guys

My only transportation is a Motorcycle since 2006, my wife has a Honda CRV for the Family stuff. The Heat, Cold, Rain and the ritual of putting on protective gear hadn't bother me until last year. Now Its getting old as well as I'm getting old.

As for room, I currently carry everything in a Backpack, so I sure the smart car is large enough for my needs, plus the Honda is my fallback.

So I asked myself what do I really need in a car. I want air conditioning, I want to stay dry when its raining and for the cold times, a little warmth. Plus, I don't want to spend a lot of money. As for Gas mileage, as long as it is reasonable, I'm okay with that as well.

So I did a search on Carmax.com, Price of car 10K or less, mileage of car 30K or Less. What popup was the Smart and the Nissan Leaf. Not intrested in a Battery car. Too limited in mileage. My commute to work is 54 miles round trip.

During the evening, I can park in my garage and at work, we have an employee parking garage. So my car won't be baking all day in the summer sun.

So, How well does the air conditioning work. Good enough to keep it cool on the ride to and from work ?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! :)

Help out the A/C as much as you can - crack the windows, keep it out of direct sun as much as possible, get the windows tinted, make a reflective shade to go above the roof shade and consider investing in something like a pop top. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
You can also move out of Arizona :)

Where in Phoenix are you? I'm in East Mesa. Yeppers, its been a hot summer so far, but its almost over. As you know we have two seasons here. Spring and Furnace. Thank goodness the Furnace season is a relatively short one compared to Spring.
I keep the Smart windows cracked open and definitely use a sun shade for the windshield. It really helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I work Mid-Town, Central and Osborn. Live in Sun City West.

This will be a commuter vehicle. On Weekends The wife and I will have the Honda CRv, unless she is doing her thing and I'm doing something else.

During the work day, I park in a coverage garage, so it wont be heating up in there and at home in the garage there. So I wont be needing to cover it up unless on those days, usually weekends I'm out and about and have to park in an open parking lot.

Just being on a motorcycle in Full Gear is starting to get to me. Full face Helmet, Boots, Gloves, Jacket and long pants

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, I commend you for putting up with the heat dressed in full garb on a bike. I can't do it to save my life. A helmet is about the only gear I wear in the summer aside from short sleeved shirts and shorts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
... Just being on a motorcycle in Full Gear is starting to get to me. Full face Helmet, Boots, Gloves, Jacket and long pants
I never liked the ATGATT. Age 69, fell, broke shoulder and four ribs. Got the Cabrio.

Anyhow, " ... How well does the air conditioning work.... "
I got the convertible so I could still get some air. It hasn't gone over 95 degrees, so I have been quite comfortable. Wife complains when the thermometer hits 80. The smart was front in line, she swiped it and she and daughter went shopping. She said the smart cooled quicker than her New Beetle.

·
Registered
729 Posts
, How well does the air conditioning work. Good enough to keep it cool on the ride to and from work ?

Thanks

My smart usually sits outside in the CA sun while I'm at work (106-108 the last week) and with tinted windows and using the heat shield to keep windshield and roof covered it's not too bad and a/c usually starts cooling down by the time I hang up my jacket, put away the windshield screen and finish my cigarette. By the time I drive the 1 mile to the freeway its cooled enough to be comfortable and breathe.

Now if I use the full heat shield set (front, sides, rear and roof) it is considerably less time to cool down.

Also, the factory retractable roof screen does nothing but shade the sun. Without using my reflective screen it still cooks me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
729 Posts
I found a full set on Amazon by a company called heatshield (which has great customer service so far.) The set included 1 for windshield, 1 for rear glass, 1 for roof and 1each for the sides. At the time it was only listed for ~$40. Now they are listed for $160+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts