Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got a trick to keep the sunglass holders on their 453 closed? Mine pop open all the time. Annoying. Was thinking about going to u pick and searching for grab handles that would work? Whatcha think?

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
300 Posts
This one has been beat to death.
In the U.S. the holes in the Tridion Cell will ONLY fit the stupid sunglass holder.
Outside the U.S. they got grab handles. But the holes for the grab handles are bigger than the ones for the stupid sunglass holder. So it's not a simple retrofit. There is a thread or two that explain the process, and it's not simple.

That aside... my decision was to do away with the stupid sunglass holder, do a little plastic grinding and then stick my Garage Door Opener and Gate Opener on the resulting two pads. My passenger side stupid sunglass holder still exists, but I don't use it and it's not in my way... so there it sits.

See my solution here.

Jim

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
It is possible to fit the grab handle. I bought one from a Forum member a couple years ago To install on the passenger side for my wife. They are available - think I recently saw one listed on eBay. It is a bit fidly to enlarge the holes the correct size so the handle completely covers the holes. I used a Dremel and grinder tool. My glasses holder on the driver side does not flip open on its own. No problem there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Saw the other threads. Thanks. Saw the garage door and gate opener. Great idea. I thought I could find a pair of used ones at the pick a part that are the same width and mount those. Gonna measure and go handle hunting tomorrow. Who knows? I'm feeling 🧚‍🧚‍🧚‍lucky.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got in trouble. Lol. Repost. Finally made it to the junkyard found a Mercedes C240 with same color interior. Handles looked good, popped them out, took them home, popped out sunglasses holders popped in handles. No cutting or anything! Super stoked!!! ha!

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
390 Posts
I just use mine to stuff w/ covid masks, driver's side's mine, passenger's for my spouse. Looks like they'll be used s'more soon too...😟

1 - 10 of 10 Posts