Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
heh, not even the hope of catching that ad could persuade me to watch. All the ads are sure to be on YouTube.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
...it's worst when you can only watch the game and the commercials are in Spanish for Fox Sports Soccer coverage...

Jetfuel...it sucked canal water...

·
Registered
210 Posts
i was rooting for the broncos... sad to see them get demolished so quickly. the smart commercial went by very cute as all my friends texted me asking if my ED can off road like that... but surely i beat the parking situation muahaha.

·
17,360 Posts
heh, not even the hope of catching that ad could persuade me to watch. All the ads are sure to be on YouTube.
You couldn't have anyway. The smart ad only played in California and Oregon. *shrug*

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Super Bowl XLVIII, Denver didn't show up but ED did!

You couldn't have anyway. The smart ad only played in California and Oregon. *shrug*
Now playing on You Tube - Just $139 per month, YMMV

Note: Digitally enhanced advertising as this is really a reworked ICE commercial . . .

·
17,360 Posts
That could've made a pretty decent national ad. Nearly everyone else sucked big time (I'm looking at you, Hyundai).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Fun Fact?!

Hello from Germany!

What the ... ?!

"(...) Fun Fact: At a estimated automotive margin of 25% on this car, smart will need to sell about 650 copies of the ED (@ $25,000/each) to breakeven on the cost of running the advertisement. That figure represents 70% of all smart plug-ins sold in the US last year ..."

Source>>

Regards

Schaefca

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
As this has nothing to do with 451 and beyond, with all due respect must unfurl the flag . . . :bullsht:

This "report" is simply regurgitated from the FIRST (450) GENERATION roll-out where M-B did have some significant launch losses, not uncommon in the auto industry.

These words are lifted from an OLD report by Max Warburton, analyst at Sanford C. Bernstein a widely recognized Wall Street SELL-SIDE research firm who provided no hard data.

·
17,360 Posts
Since it seems that Mercedes is losing about $6100 for each and every Smart vehicle it has sold over the years, I'm thinking there isn't 25% "margin" there to play with.

Tiny Smart Cars Lose $5 Billion For Mercedes-Benz: Report
I don't know if they're even worth quoting, when this "research" firm doesn't really know what's going on?

“We’re not convinced the current one makes money either, even with all its fixed costs written off,” Bernstein analyst Max Warburton said in the report.
Last I checked, the 451 has been making Daimler profits, as shown in their quarterly and yearly earnings calls.

·
17,360 Posts
The problem is, Daimler usually reports earnings as a whole. You gotta do an Internet deep dive to find smart's profits.

Yep, smart did actually lose Daimler as much money as the article says. However, what isn't said is that smart in its current iteration is profitable. :)

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
for what that add cost, and the model that it was targeted to (in such small number), it's utter nonsense. They are just trying to tout their tech, not sell cars. So many better ways to target the greenies out there!

also, I should say that I'm originally from WA state, so most of my people were pretty happy about it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts