Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Does a 450 need 2 turbos? What advantage would you get verses one larger turbo? How do you split 3 cylinders evenly into 2 turbos? It seems to me, no matter how you plumb it, one cylinder breathes much easier than the other two.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Using two turbos eliminates boost lag of a large single turbo, the smaller turbo will use less exhaust flow to spool-up quicker, making boost in the lower rpm's, while the large turbo requires higher rate of exhaust flow to create boost, which builds power in the higher rpm's, this way you get boost across a broad powerband, instead of just at peak rpm's, and it improves the driveabilty of the vehicle.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Using two turbos eliminates boost lag of a large single turbo, the smaller turbo will use less exhaust flow to spool-up quicker, making boost in the lower rpm's, while the large turbo requires higher rate of exhaust flow to create boost, which builds power in the higher rpm's, this way you get boost across a broad powerband, instead of just at peak rpm's, and it improves the driveabilty of the vehicle.
I understand that and if I had a 350ci Chevy that would make so much more sense. But 698cc's? It already has a turbo the size of a walnut. There isn't any turbo lag, there is shift lag-lot's of that! It's on the boost almost right away now. I just don't see the cost of two turbo's along with all of the plumbing, management and ancillary equipment for what gain in horsepower? There is so many more ways to increase horsepower in this engine already. It isn't a robust engine to begin with. I don't think you can justify the cost. Law of diminishing returns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts