Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2008 Smart for two Passion. I've learned about not leaving the lights in auto position when the car is off due to drain on battery. I've learned to fix the insulation that hangs low over the alternator. I have learned about the coolant hose that rubs on the metal and potentially cuts through. Any other surprises for the 2008 model I should now about? I'm thrilled to have learned about the above problems and have been able to fix them thus saving me a future headache. Thanks to all.

·
17,349 Posts
Hmmm...

- Crazing roof.
- Blowing headlamps (easily fixed with resistors from a smart centre).
- Valve Check (this is important!)
- Coolant bubbles in the head.
- 2.0 Software update.

I forget anything????

·
17,349 Posts
Which of these apply to a 2013?
Honestly, just the two maintenance items:

- Valve Check at 60k (make sure your dealer does it!)
- Coolant bubbles when you flush it around 40k.

Through rolling changes, smart pretty much solved all of those other issues. They didn't bother telling anyone about them either as we had to get it out of them!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
2008 smart fortwo Coupe Battery TSBs

TSB Number: SM-B-54 NHTSA Number: 10044208 TSB Date: April 18, 2012 Date Added to File: May 22, 2012
Failing Component:
Electrical System:Battery
Summary:
Smart: high-voltage Battery software update.
2008 smart fortwo Frame Recalls

Recall Number: 08V390000 Owner Notification Date: October 30, 2008 Record Creation Date: August 7, 2008
Defect Description:
Smart usa is recalling 43 my 2008 fortwo 451 vehicles. A single batch of paint sent to the company did not meet specifications. A re-work was done in the plant using different formulations of painting materials. After the re-work was completed, it was determined that the combination of materials used to repaint the frame and chassis could lead to de lamination of the paint materials from the body and frame structures.
Defect Consequence:
Such de laminating can take place in the area of the body where the windshield and roof have been affixed with adhesive, which could affect the adhesion of those components to the vehicle body, increasing the risk of separation. This could cause a crash if the roof or windshield separated from the vehicle while in motion.
Corrective Action:
Dealers will repaint the affected areas to meet specifications. The recall began on august 18, 2008. Owners may contact smart usa at 1-248-648-2451.

A fair list of complaints with info is at:
2008 smart fortwo Complaints

Found this info looking around the web. Because Smart is so perfect, they never recall anything....just like GM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts