Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit it, I'm a dweeb when it comes to understanding a lot of suspension what-causes-what things.

My 2013 451 Cab has 104K on it with all original suspension parts. It has developed what I call "fat butt" for lack of a better description. Wiggle the steering wheel going 65 mph and the rear end sways way too far from one side or the other. Bad enough that it's really getting scary to drive, especially in a wind. I thought it might be time to replace the rear shocks or springs, but what do I know? I need to sort this out.

Do any of you learned folks have any suggestions of things I can test that would point to one thing or another or suggestions of what to do?

Ray
WDSMGuy
"WindUp"
smartie since 4/2008

·
Registered
580 Posts
Tires? Rear shock bushings? Rear shocks? 8 years and 100k miles on shocks is pretty long. I know some say leave them til they have obviously failed (leaked, siezed), but I think 100k is a good lifetime. Springs should be good unless one or both are obviously broken. Happened to a front one on my 09 Passion (previous owner).

·
Super Moderator
17,594 Posts
My guess would also be shocks. A blown shock will make any car "twerk", so to speak. lol

But before you blow money on shocks, check out the condition and pressure of your tires. Bad/low tires can cause a similar feeling.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
My 1981 Mazda GLC had struts on the rear. Both failed at the exact same time, really strange. Same feeling as you describe.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, everybody. The tires are brand-new Nokian snows this year and I made sure to check the pressures. Tires were actually my first question. As to the springs, that was just a thought, but something I need to rule out so I can check the box.

So, here's the fun part. I like a tight car. Any recommendation on what shocks from where? And have any of you done this and have any tips?

-Ray
WiindUp

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm getting ready to do my 09 Passion. Standard Bilstein replacements. New bushings. Will be replacing the springs with EV ones to pick up a little extra height, soi can run taller tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts