Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is to wobbly, any suggestions for springs and shocks? I want more stiff sportt suspension... also who do I go to for hid lights?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Try running a set of rears up front. They tightened up my car considerably, and even improved the ride. My smart handles the curves better now than my '99 Camaro...

·
Registered
318 Posts
I suggest the set of rear wheels up front and the upgraded rear springs Smart Madness has to offer.

I now have 195/50/15 tires all the way around... Major improvement.

Best thing you can do for these cars.

You can spend alot more money for coilovers and still bottom out and from what I hear a pretty harsh ride.

Once someone makes a strut that is meant for lowering the car and performance upgrades, then I'l start looking into a complete kit. H&R, Bilstein... something along those lines.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey you live in orting? I live up the hill from you in Puyallup, to funny , if you need awesome HID lights for your smart car let me know, i know a place that was Mercedes-Benz recommended, its only $197 installed out the door

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
You can find original wheels that match your wheels but use the "new" rear original wheels up front to match what you now have. Then buy the new tires and have them mounted.
The smart madness springs worked great for me.
You may find it less expensive to buy all four new wheels that match (like the Genius wheels) than to find and pay for two rear original wheels. They look quite a bit better as well. Stick with the 15 inch wheels and get the same size width all the way around. The 6.5 width is the same price as the 5.5 width. Smart Madness carries these wheels as well as Discount Tires Direct and maybe others as well.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Dont i have to buy new rims to match rear tires?..... i will look at buying those springs, do they handle better then stock?
They are firmer. No more rocking with acceleration and braking. The car doesn't lean like its about to fall over in hard turns either. If you do the springs, don't unbolt the rear shocks. Just block the suspension with a piece of wood, and use spring compressors to get the springs in and out. You'll have to cut about 4" off your compressor screws. It does not help to have both rear wheels in the air. It actually makes it more difficult. When you are doing the front. Get a 21mm strut nut tool with an angled handle. Don't take the cowl apart. Don't use that ridiculous strut shaft clamp. You will also need a 16mm and 18mm wrench durring the disassembly of the suspension. These two sizes are commonly skipped in wrench sets, so be sure you have them.

Yes, if you put rear tires up front, you would need to get a set of rear rims for them.

·
17,372 Posts
if you need awesome HID lights for your smart car let me know, i know a place that was Mercedes-Benz recommended, its only $197 installed out the door
When the vast majority of good HID kits out there range from $30-$80. I think that's a complete and total ripoff! :eek:

And installation is so easy a child can do it! (though, I wouldn't recommend such)

·
Registered
912 Posts
To address the suspension question: I put the complete Bilstein B14 kit on my car, and highly recommend it. My front is set at stock ride height (wheel approx centered in the fender opening) and the rear is about 25mm lowered such that with me on board, the lateral arms are horizontal - this minimizes rear bump steer.

The stock front struts are garbage (insufficient damping) and the front springs are too weak ... that's why (in stock form) the front slams into the bump stops all the time.

Mine rides and handles the way it should now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys for the advice, has anyone ran he ebc green pads with slotted rotors in front? I think I'm gonna get the smart madness lowering springs as well as all New 4 wheels and tires

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm running the madness springs. I really didn't like them with skinny tires. I feel like what most people call bad Struts, is actually the crappy stock tires bouncing. I'm still running the stock struts. When I took the skinny tires off and put 4 6-inch wide Rial rear wheels and four 195/50–15 tires on the car, it fixed everything I didn't like. If you want to try it out before you decide to buy the parts, you can drive my cabrio. I really don't recommend the madness springs with stock wheels and tires. I'd be happy to put skinny tires back on it and let you feel for yourself how awful it is. If you still decide to go with those springs, let me know I've done it once and it's really not that hard to do once you know how. If you follow the evilution guide, try not to kill yourself.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts