Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newer automatic transmissions with manual modes are becoming so convincing, in fact, that a Porsche engineer predicts the 911 will lose its manual transmission in less than a decade, even though Porsche just designed a new seven-speed manual for the 2012 911. Michael Schätzle, project manager for the new 911, told Automobile magazine this week that the manual has no more than "one or two generations" left to live.
Other European exotic carmakers have already eliminated manual transmissions on some cars. The new Aventador LP700-4 will be sold exclusively with Lamborghini's new automated seven-speed single-clutch transmission. Lamborghini plans to phase out the manual transmission option on the entry-level Gallardo, too, and we certainly don't expect to see it on its third model. Ferrari has also eliminated manual options in models like the 458 Italia and FF.
:)

GM's TapShift technology shows why automatic transmissions may soon replace manuals

·
Registered
300 Posts
But then we would lose that feeling that takes us back to our youth of learning the stick. The Smart perfectly replicates those first few hours in a stick!!! I even feel bad for being hard on my kids when teaching them!!

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once we all die off the manual transmission feeling of our youth will be gone for the most part. Change is inevitable, and with auto trannys outperforming their clutch pedal counterparts manuals are becoming irrelevant. :)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The funny thing is, the manufactures are re-defining what an automatic transmission is. Especially for performance use. Gone are the clutch packs, planetary gears, and torque converters. Now it's all automated manuals & double clutch transmissions.

They are automatically shifted, just like the smart, but they are still based on manual transmissions with conventional gears & synchros. They offer significantly improved efficiencies over a conventional automatic, with no driver input like a manual.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Once we all die off the manual transmission feeling of our youth will be gone for the most part. Change is inevitable, and with auto trannys outperforming their clutch pedal counterparts manuals are becoming irrelevant. :)
I still love a manual transmission even if it's slower shifting than my wife's dual clutch M3 and Z4!! My Shelby at 600 hp with a stick is pretty fast if you don't kill yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I remember my parents talking about the old "three on the tree" days, referring to 1st gear as "low", as in "drop it in low".

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I actually enjoy my smart paddle shifters.

Truth be told, most of my cars have had automatic transmissions. I always thought that was preferable ... until I met a paddle shifter, LOL.

What we have, and other modern cars have, is a hybrid transmission. And I don't see that disappearing anytime soon.

Yeah, it will vanish when humans are diminished to some kind of vegetative state when they don't even care what the hell they're being transported in.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I remember my parents talking about the old "three on the tree" days, referring to 1st gear as "low", as in "drop it in low".
Haha! Been there, done that!:D My other project vehicle in the garage is a 1953 Plymouth Cranbrook 2 door sedan. That's the way it came. That is long gone now. The flat head 6 & 3 speed replaced by a Dodge 360 V-8 & Torqueflite automatic, but I did get to drive it a couple times with the 3 on the tree, before I tore it apart...:D

·
Registered
192 Posts
My first ride was an F-100 with a grenade proof 300-6 with a "3 on the Tree"! Plus if you get rid of manual trannys, how will you be able to perform the time honored tradition of the "Reverse drop"? Folks forgot how to drive a stick. Military got rid of them 10yrs ago. Although I do remember my former step kids driving a Pontiac Aztek with a stick in it. I believe this will go down the same road as Cursive writing and the Rotary phone. (it still dials 911 the same way, just a longer process!)

·
Registered
465 Posts
And I remember watching the steam powered TV....

Progress is inevitable. :wink:

That doesn't make it fun. Just profitable for the providers and easy for the lazy.
Can't be bothered shifting and driving. I have food to eat, coffee to drink, and smart phones to play with, that and DVDs to watch in the dash.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My first ride was an F-100 with a grenade proof 300-6 with a "3 on the Tree"! Plus if you get rid of manual trannys, how will you be able to perform the time honored tradition of the "Reverse drop"? Folks forgot how to drive a stick. Military got rid of them 10yrs ago. Although I do remember my former step kids driving a Pontiac Aztek with a stick in it. I believe this will go down the same road as Cursive writing and the Rotary phone. (it still dials 911 the same way, just a longer process!)
My 95 F-150 is the 300 six and a 5 speed. The 300 is one of Ford's legendary engines. I will never let the truck go. It's maintained to nearly new condition.The 300 was used in UPS big brown trucks for 25 years. It was in wind machines, chippers, F600 dump trucks and on and on. In 97 Ford went to the V6 as a base motor. The 300 was too long and a little hard to make emissions.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
My great uncle's 1947 Packard Custom Super Clipper Club Coupe (geez, so many words in its name) had a switch on the dash that you pulled out to engage "Electromatic" after you started out in 1st gear ("low", ha ha) and then it would shift itself up into 2nd and 3rd (aka "high"), if I remember correctly.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts