Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Wolo mounting

Also it must be positioned properly to eliminate any chance of premature failure. The stock mount helps you mount it in the proper position.
There have been a number of posts about the need for the Wolo to be mounted vertically. I happened to have done that, but the instructions that came with mine only said that it was preferred to mount it that way. There wasn't any indication of impending doom or premature failure if it wasn't vertical. :confused:
I know one member's failed and it wasn't vertical. But, was that the cause or was it something else, such as a defective horn? Has another urban legend been born? :)

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
There have been a number of posts about the need for the Wolo to be mounted vertically. I happened to have done that, but the instructions that came with mine only said that it was preferred to mount it that way. There wasn't any indication of impending doom or premature failure if it wasn't vertical. :confused:
I know one member's failed and it wasn't vertical. But, was that the cause or was it something else, such as a defective horn? Has another urban legend been born? :)
There is a possibility mine was defective. I did use it an awful lot so that could be a reason it failed too. This thread does have 2 people who didn't mount it that way and they failed pretty quickly so that may be something to think about too.

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
There is a possibility mine was defective. I did use it an awful lot so that could be a reason it failed too. This thread does have 2 people who didn't mount it that way and they failed pretty quickly so that may be something to think about too.
I tried to mount my first one with out pulling off the front end... to get it to fit I had to angle it with the horns up... bad idea... rain water killed it. The second one I took off the front end and mounted it properly and it's been fantastic.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
It's a good question and probably one that will never be answered definitively. We have 3 failures with "non-verticality" but no idea of how many are installed "non-vertically" and continue to function. But, at least we've learned for certain that it doesn't work well as a rain gauge! :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Right side mount?

Just took a look this morning.Yes it is tight on the driver side,probly need to pull front off,but. there is the same mounting spot on the other side,even,a bolt sitting there to mount a bracket.A lot more room,for any position.
Planning on mounting new horn there,and tying the two togeather.Probly sound like I'm from Cuba or something at first but should get attention if needed.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Planning on mounting new horn there,and tying the two togeather.Probly sound like I'm from Cuba or something at first but should get attention if needed.
two horns = what??? Spanish accent? Communist? Wailing Castro? what the hell did you infer?:confused:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Accent?

Actually we lived in Puerto Rico for 2 years.Took a '68' auto stick shift ,BUG down there.The horn only lasted 6 months,with the chickens, cain trucks and what not.So we know it is an a important accurtament.
Maybe the 'right ' side is meant for a loud speaker on top ,but should work for a second horn ,we think. Hausta mananana.
Hey,we shipped it out of Jack,Fla..Was an adventure.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Just took a look this morning.Yes it is tight on the driver side,probly need to pull front off,but. there is the same mounting spot on the other side,even,a bolt sitting there to mount a bracket.A lot more room,for any position.
Like we said before, pull that front off and it will make things sooo much easier. Multiple people saying it from experience of trying it both ways. Just remember with the horn mount on the opposite side you'll have to add wiring and of course if you go with an additional horn, use the supplied relay too.

·
Registered
673 Posts
but. there is the same mounting spot on the other side,even,a bolt sitting there to mount a bracket.A lot more room,for any position.
Planning on mounting new horn there,and tying the two togeather.

If you could follow the Evilution guide and are using the Smart horn "upgrade" that is exactly what the second mounting area is for. The guide also shows that you do indeed wire the two together.

Guide: Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

Interesting aside, on the 450, you have to drop the underbody tray, lay on it, reach into a tight access area and remove the one horn. Then (if using the Smart double-sound horn) you have to attached both horns using a bracket, then attach that with another bracket to one spot. Not fun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I managed to fit one of these behind the driver's side headlight pointing out the front.

I mounted the air compressor where the factory horn was. Plenty loud now! =)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts