Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to open the glass hatch and reached into the recess on the rear tailgate and noticed there is no button to release the glass hatch, It was there a couple days ago. Anyone else notice the membrane opener switch on the tailgate missing on their smart? Anyone work on or replaced their button switch?

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
There was a guy at the last Dragon event who had the switch's finger grip 'membrane' fall out when the hatch fell open. It's part of the switch assembly. He had to get a new switch. There's usually one floating around on ebay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i just had to investigate an issue with my hatch release button. the switch was not working
and i removed the tailgate panel to access the switch...turns out, the switch was unplugged.
this is an easy task. the switch is clipped onto the tailgate panel by 2 clips. is it possible your switch loosened and fell inside the tailgate?? the way the switch is clipped in, i do not think your switch fell out maybe just in.

i usually take photos of my repairs, but didnt this time.
check this link out from FQ101..this is the disassembly of the rear panel.

FQ101.co.uk - Boot panel

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was a guy at the last Dragon event who had the switch's finger grip 'membrane' fall out when the hatch fell open. It's part of the switch assembly. He had to get a new switch. There's usually one floating around on ebay.
I believe that is what happened to mine, it is missing the finger grip membrane. I will have to pick one up from eBay and replace the switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe that is what happened to mine, it is missing the finger grip membrane. I will have to pick one up from eBay and replace the switch.
I picked up my 2008 smart from the mechanic today after a tuneup. The FOB would not open the tailgate after double-clicking it. The inside dashboard unlock button would not unlock it. I hardly ever use the tailgate unlock button on the FOB but luckily it does unlock it. The membrane is now missing from the tailgate switch and the switch of course does not work. But would that cause the issue with the FOB and the dashboard unlock button????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts