Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been itching to swap to the 15x6 Rials all the way around with some 195/50 tires and finally made the leap. I was going to go with Kumho Ecsta tires, but decided to go for some Yokohama Avids instead. I definitely like the cleaner look (and easier to clean!) of these Rials over the stock rims. I consider the Rials a poor man's Pulse wheels. And, as a bonus, I can now rotate tires! :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I definitely like the cleaner look (and easier to clean!) of these Rials over the stock rims. I consider the Rials a poor man's Pulse wheels. And, as a bonus, I can now rotate tires! :)
Enjoy the twisties with more rubber all around with no ride penalty.

I learned after owning 10+ spoke and BBS mesh wheels that less spokes and less surface area means easier cleaning.

Rotations are a breeze.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Please keep us posted on how it handles, affects braking, gas mileage, etc. I just got my car and have thought about doing the same thing. Where did you get your tires and wheel from?

Oh...... It look really good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've been itching to swap to the 15x6 Rials all the way around with some 195/50 tires and finally made the leap. I was going to go with Kumho Ecsta tires, but decided to go for some Yokohama Avids instead. I definitely like the cleaner look (and easier to clean!) of these Rials over the stock rims.
Glad you like them - mine arrived on Friday but I missed the UPS guy. Hopefully I'll get them delivered tomorrow and mounted on Tuesday (I went with stock sizes).

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you notice any big change in ride or handling?
I didn't expect major changes, but on the maiden voyage I would say that the handling is probably the most improved aspect. It definitely feels more 'go cartish' in the curves. I took the twisty way home and pushed it a bit and was pleased with the improvement (although my wife was less pleased with me :eek:).

The ride improved a bit, especially over smaller road imperfections. The new front tires certainly 'take the edge off' previously jarring/sharp impacts. Larger bumps, etc. where the suspension really gets involved are largely unchanged. I'm running 30psi front and 34psi rear. I may drop it down a bit more front and rear.

Please keep us posted on how it handles, affects braking, gas mileage, etc. I just got my car and have thought about doing the same thing. Where did you get your tires and wheel from?
I didn't notice any big changes in braking, but I would guess the wider rubber would bite better in hard/panic braking. I keep a gas log in the car, so I'll see if it impacts mileage noticeably, but I'm not expecting any real change.

The wheels, tires, and TPMS came from Tire Rack and I was pleased with their service. Everything worked perfectly and the car seems oblivious to the change and hasn't complained in the least. The OD of this setup are a near perfect match to the OEM wheels/tires. I may change the front fender arch to it's maximum outward flare setting although it doesn't look bad now.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't understand :confused:

Does this mean that the quarterpanel is adjustable?

Yes, to a small degree. There are three holes in the door openings with a pin that selects the amount of flare applied to the front fenders. I only know this since an unfortunate deer encounter caused me to remove the front panels and Evilution's instructions mention the three holes and that they can be used to select a hair more or less flare on the front fenders. The default setting is in the middle, so there is one setting more and one less. You can't see the three position holes with the fender on, but you can see the pin. See the very last photo at: Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

·
Registered
396 Posts
I would say that the handling is probably the most improved aspect. It definitely feels more 'go cartish' in the curves. I took the twisty way home and pushed it a bit and was pleased with the improvement (although my wife was less pleased with me :eek:).
That's what I'm talking about! I get the same Smart response and a similar reaction from my passenger.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

Here's an update on the Rials w/Yokohama setup... I'm very pleased so far.

Ride: I had a chance to take the smart on a couple hundred mile trip for work last week which took me off the beaten path. It was mostly highway, but the road had some cracks/holes that have probably developed recently. I thought the wider front tires reduced these types of quick, sharp impacts at speed better than the OEM tires.

Handling: Still loving the improvement in reflexes - it definitely feels more responsive in the twisties and sure of itself.

Stability in Wind: Small improvement, if any. Wider tires can't do much about buffeting from large trucks or windy days. But, I've never been 'out of my lane', just bobbled back and forth a bit.

Winter Driving: I only had the stock tires out in slick conditions once or twice, so I can't compare too much. If anything, the wider fronts provide better traction and it has less tendency to understeer on slick surfaces. Of course, if you drive in deeper snow, the skinnier OEM tires may cut through it better. We don't usually get a lot snow, so usually I'm just worried about black ice, slush, or a thin layer of packed snow if it's real cold. I'll take the 4WD Frontier if it's any more than that.

Fuel Economy: I've went through a few tanks of gas and haven't noticed any difference. Of course, with the weather variability, miles per tank has been pretty variable as well. The work road trip caused me to run a little faster than usual, 75-80 instead of the usual 60-65, but I still managed to get 41 out of that tank. I've been seeing low 40s mostly ever since it got cold.

Looks: Ok, this is subjective, but I do like the look of the fatter rubber in back and front and I definitely prefer the six spoke design to the OEM wheels. They should be 10x easier to clean as well.

Problems:
No problems so far. I haven't detected any rubbing or other issues. TPMS is still happy with the Tire Rack sensors and the car hasn't given any indication that it's aware of any changes (ESC, ABS, etc.).

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
looks good now its time to lower it!

No lowering where I live - I need all the clearance I can get out in the country! :)

If I do anything else, I might go for an exhaust at some point if I can find one with a center exit that's not too loud and a K&N filter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts