Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 cabriolet with 24650 miles (yes, 24650 is correct). The oil was changed with synthetic 18 months ago, and only 1100 miles have been driven since.
Do I really need to change oil now? With this situation, I'm under the impression I could go much further with time and mileage before another change. Opinions please.

·
Registered
46 Posts
general rule of thumb for synthetic or even MB for that, is 20,000 or 1 year max. so with 18 months you have far exceeded the 1 year limit. is it worth the 26.99 for risking it (6 quarts mobil 1 @ costco)

·
Registered
46 Posts
general rule of thumb for synthetic or even MB for that, is 20,000 or 1 year max. so with 18 months you have far exceeded the 1 year limit. is it worth the 26.99 for risking it (6 quarts mobil 1 @ costco)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK. Thanks for your response. I was under the impression that with 1100 miles, the synthetic was still good. Not the $$, but it appears that using synthetic is overkill with such limited miles driven. I’ll go back to “regular” oli right away.

·
Registered
46 Posts
you know, for what you can get synthetic now a days, I personally think it is worth it. $27 @ Costco is $18 per oil change being that it is for 6 quarts @ Costco

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
It's $25.xx for 5 qts at Walmart near me, and you get the 0W-40 weight I covet. Doesn't hurt the wallet much to get the correct/good stuff, especially when there's a roll back or rebate promotion from Mobil. Once a year or 10k miles as I recall.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
I changed my synthetic oil, every 10K miles, or once a year. Usually the 10K milage comes up first. It pretty much like that on any new modern vehicle now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts