Smart Car of America Forum banner

Tab above Cabrio windshield?

8K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  colin555 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 Cabrio and would like to know - what's the little black plastic tab at the top of the windshield frame?

Thanks,
Peter

#6 ·
Micro wind deflector tab.

I was driving with the top open and ran my hand back and forth along the top of the windshield. It is amazing how much effect that little airfoil has. It makes a considerable difference over a very wide area.
Now what all that accomplishes, I do not know, but the other suggestions here make sense.

#9 ·
Micro wind deflector tab.

I was driving with the top open and ran my hand back and forth along the top of the windshield. It is amazing how much effect that little airfoil has. It makes a considerable difference over a very wide area.
Now what all that accomplishes, I do not know, but the other suggestions here make sense.
Ok, now THAT impresses me. Later posts call it Vortex Diffuser . Hmmmm.

#7 ·
The small black spoiler is a Vortex Generator. Causes the air flow to go straight up over the windshield when the convertible top is down. With the side windows up and top down, interior is hair friendly. Vortex generators were used on small aircraft.

#8 ·
Now that you mention it....

I remember reading about a new MB convertible with a pop up spoiler across the whole windshield that protects the whole compartment from wind turbulence to allow use of the convertible in the winter at speed without buffeting.

#10 ·
Interestingly the 453 Fortwo convertible has been designed so that there very little wind disturbance inside the cabin with the side windows up. I find I can keep my skip hat on without it blowing off LOL.
MB smart do offer a cheap horrible looking wind deflector that looks like a sheet with a perspex panel in it, and gets tied behind the seats. It is awful looking and not many buy it. It is not needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.