Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 843 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Greetings, all. I am trying to set up a local weekend on the Tail of the Dragon, and would like some feedback about interest in such an event. The event would be in the fall, probably the end of September/early October (assuming we can get reservations, etc).

Please let me know if you are interested, and spread the word. This is not to be confused with the larger (projected) rally that will be getting under-way soon for spring 2010.

For those that do not know what the Tail of the Dragon is, it is a stretch of road (US 129) running from NC to Tn - 11 miles, 318 curves (official count), and is a hot-spot for bikers and car clubs. The area is gorgeous, and should make for a fun weekend.

We could also do this as a one-day thing - leave Charlotte early in the morning, drive to the gap (Deal's Gap), do the Dragon, do a picnic lunch, and come back in the evening. I am open to both ways, though the one-day makes for a long day for some of us (myself included).

Feedback, show of interest, etc. all welcome. Spread the word.

If we have enough interest, we can set the date, and get things moving. [Event link: http://digitalgreenman.com/totd.html]

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
sounds good but dont plan on the days that the mini croud will be their we go every spring and fall, and theirs over 500 of us and all i can tell you is that its way over crouded and usually someone always spills their car over the cliff :) corse no fatalities thank god! its tuff to get a day thats not booked but keep us posted!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thus the use of the TOTD event calendar. Right now, I am leaning towards September 26/27, partially because the weather (temp wise, anyway) is generally pretty good, and also because it's my b-day weekend (ok, ulterior motive involved...:eek:)

But I firmly intend on getting on the schedule once I see enough interest...

Thanks

·
Registered
973 Posts
Greetings, all. I am trying to set up a local weekend on the Tail of the Dragon, and would like some feedback about interest in such an event. The event would be in the fall, probably the end of September/early October (assuming we can get reservations, etc).

Please let me know if you are interested, and spread the word. This is not to be confused with the larger (projected) rally that will be getting under-way soon for spring 2010.

For those that do not know what the Tail of the Dragon is, it is a stretch of road (US 129) running from NC to Tn - 11 miles, 318 curves (official count), and is a hot-spot for bikers and car clubs. The area is gorgeous, and should make for a fun weekend.

We could also do this as a one-day thing - leave Charlotte early in the morning, drive to the gap (Deal's Gap), do the Dragon, do a picnic lunch, and come back in the evening. I am open to both ways, though the one-day makes for a long day for some of us (myself included).

Feedback, show of interest, etc. all welcome. Spread the word.

If we have enough interest, we can set the date, and get things moving.

Thanks

I would likely try to make it up in September to scope out issues for a Spring Rally. I would come up for a long weekend and would participate in whatever you scheduled.

Ken

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
If there's anyway I can do it I'd love to crash your party... That road is an addiction once you drive it once... and I didn't get a chance to do the Skyway last time... and I want to drive the foothills parkway again....

ok... time for the medication now. :D

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, and welcome to our friends from Florida! I am setting a preliminary date of September 26/27, but we will need to confirm it shortly, to avoid playing calendar roulette with other groups.

Pass the word!

I have posted notices on several other smart sites, as well - I hope to get them all to one place, eventually.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hmmm. Here are Cdr's Cody's thoughts and teachings.
I notice that on 9-25,26 of '09 is the Fontana Clogging Jamboree and on Oct 1-4 is the Smokey Mtn Bike Week. The cloggers shouldn't be much of a problem 'cause they will, or should be, walking or clogging. Probably knee walkin', hip huggin' tree gnawin' drunk. Just kidding -ease up now. I just don't know how many will be there. Now the Smokey Mtn Bike week is a different thing. Everything from a Huffy to a two wheel Zamboni will be on the roads.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool Love to have you there. Do me a favor and follow the contact directions on the web site, so that I can start building the event database (contact info, that sort of stuff).

·
Red Roller Skate
3,895 Posts
I registered on the site and already asked off from work. It's a long drive from Raleigh but I think I can do it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just registered and have the days off already approved. Hope you don't mind a Georgia owner coming up to join in. Not too far of a drive as I'm just south of Chattanooga, TN. You might want to post this on the other Regional boards in the area. There seems to be a good bit of interest outside the Carolinas as well. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I signed up today! I can't wait, I have a nice DSLR camera that I will be bringing for photos. Hopefully we can fit in a lunch meetup so I can meet you all before then :)

The funny thing is for 5 years I lived in Asheville NC and never heard of this place lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
Drove the tail of the dragon yesterday! What a lot of fun!

There was light rain falling so that slowed us down and a Sherrifs car was also an obstacle. The smart holds it's own because we also came across 2 groups of motorcycles that slowed us down.

Would love to do it again next September!!!!!!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
More thoughts and teachings from the Cdr.

We have already reserved a room for the 25th and 26th at the MicroTel in Robbinsville! Check the smartCARolinas site for moe info. And also take a look at Graham County websites to see how neat this area is. And if you like to clog - or look at it - Fontana Village is having a cloggers convention during this time. I dread to think of the horrible consequences of altitude, moonshine and clogging. We will be safe from them in our smarts I truly believe.

1 - 20 of 843 Posts