Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what all everyone carries back there so I can build my list of stuff to put there too. After all no one wants to stall and not have something in the gate that could possible help fix the problem....especially in the middle of the Mojave desert at 230am and not a lite for 50 miles or another car.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Jump cables, tow strap, ratchet straps, 550 cord, lighter, assortment of tools, fix a flat, spare clothes, spare ammo for my car gun, first aid kit, paper towels and rags, toilet paper, flashlights, batteries for flashlights, assorted charging cables, fire extinguisher, jar of instant coffee. I'm sure there's some more stuff in there but I'm not remembering

I also carry some mobil1 0w40, some coolant and a funnel behind the drivers seat

·
Registered
556 Posts
Currently only equipped for populated areas. With cell phone coverage for "Triple A" rescue if major Failure hits.
So In the hatch compartment storage area
1quart of Oil.
Some cleaners waxes and tire shine. I can at least have the car shinny when the tow truck gets there lol.
In the rear cargo area under the cargo cover.
My tool bag.
Antifreeze.
A qt of soapy water.
A bag of micro fiber cloths.
My original radio.
And a plastic tarp.

Fix a flat can behind passenger seat.
Light bulbs, Fuses and stuff (lol), in glove compartment.

Should look a lot different for my cross country trip in May.

·
Super Moderator
11,234 Posts
As you get ore miles on your car, I have found it is good to carry an extra coil and a 10mm wrench in case you drop a cylinder.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Jump cables, tow strap, ratchet straps, 550 cord, lighter, assortment of tools, fix a flat, spare clothes, spare ammo for my car gun, first aid kit, paper towels and rags, toilet paper, flashlights, batteries for flashlights, assorted charging cables, fire extinguisher, jar of instant coffee. I'm sure there's some more stuff in there but I'm not remembering

I also carry some mobil1 0w40, some coolant and a funnel behind the drivers seat

Must rattle something awful... :unsure:

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I use to carry, my OEM smart car jack/wrench/socket case, back there, and a Synthetic chamois. Small mag light. Have one of these jump start units, in all our cars. A must! Tire plug kit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Reuseable grocery bags (CA), mini tire compressor, owners manual.

I learned the hard way that carrying a jump starter/cables in the tailgate is a BAD choice on the 451 because the tailgate is electrically actuated. I was able to pry the compartment open enough to get it out but not a great solution

·
Registered
78 Posts
Interesting question. My first thought: "I dunno, probably whatever was there when delivered new at the dealer". I was right; it's bare and empty! I'll have to ponder the options. Seems a shame to waste all that space in such a tiny car!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I was just wondering what all everyone carries back there so I can build my list of stuff to put there too. After all no one wants to stall and not have something in the gate that could possible help fix the problem....especially in the middle of the Mojave desert at 230am and not a lite for 50 miles or another car.
I keep booster cables, gloves, an MRE and a meat thermometer (A\C freon). I forgot about chemlights too!

·
Registered
190 Posts
:unsure: Hmm. For all of you who have put a fix-a-flat fluid or a mini air compressor in the tailgate, you do realize you already have that in your passenger foot well storage area? I believe that's standard on all models of smart car, even the electrics.

I keep a 1st aid kit, car blanket, and a few cloth grocery bags. Pretty much fills it up, but no rattle.

·
I'll figger this car out
222 Posts
:unsure: Hmm. For all of you who have put a fix-a-flat fluid or a mini air compressor in the tailgate, you do realize you already have that in your passenger foot well storage area? I believe that's standard on all models of smart car, even the electrics.

I keep a 1st aid kit, car blanket, and a few cloth grocery bags. Pretty much fills it up, but no rattle.
My intention is to add a accessory bracket via a trailer hitch to hold a full-sized spare. Then tool box plus POL and containers, first aid kit. The MRE is a nice touch. Where do you get them?

·
Super Moderator
11,234 Posts
adding a spare in back will cover the rear license plate, probably have to relocate the plate and light. around here you will get pulled over for no rear plate and no light on it. Even for one of 2 lights out on a rear plate.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts

A couple photos, I took of outside spare tire carries , on a smart rear. One using a trailer hitch. The other uses the towing mount holes. Neither had I illuminated, license plates lamps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
:unsure: Hmm. For all of you who have put a fix-a-flat fluid or a mini air compressor in the tailgate, you do realize you already have that in your passenger foot well storage area?
That's exactly what I have in my tailgate (including the tow hook). I can't imagine trying to dismantle the passenger floor while traffic whizzes by at 70 or whatever.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts