Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
:unsure: Hmm. For all of you who have put a fix-a-flat fluid or a mini air compressor in the tailgate, you do realize you already have that in your passenger foot well storage area? I believe that's standard on all models of smart car, even the electrics.

I keep a 1st aid kit, car blanket, and a few cloth grocery bags. Pretty much fills it up, but no rattle.
I was never told about a "secret storage compartment" under there...
Can you post a picture; so that I know I'm looking in the right place?
Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reuseable grocery bags (CA), mini tire compressor, owners manual.

I learned the hard way that carrying a jump starter/cables in the tailgate is a BAD choice on the 451 because the tailgate is electrically actuated. I was able to pry the compartment open enough to get it out but not a great solution
Thank you for the heads up. I just moved my jumper box from the tailgate to the glove box -- you are right -- the dead battery would not open the tailgate. I have a nice small li-ion jump box, and have used it on other, bigger cars. The Smart is so easy to start, never needed it!

·
I'll figger this car out
216 Posts
I agree! (y)
I'd be interested in seeing what the mounting brackets look like...
I have purchased the Acme 5/8-8 style tap-die kit to make my own threaded parts to attach there.

I had thought about making two huge chromed curly tusks to fit in there, but I'm sure the cops would stop me when they saw them, so I settled for the battering ram on the front!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
On the 451, the "storage compartment" in the tailgate is used to store the removable side bars for the convertible top.
I rarely use it for that, I keep my tools and emergency gear in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was motivated by the post about not being able to open the tailgate, so here is a photo of what is in mine
I just bought new tires, and hope to never unwrap the gear here. A long handled wrench and socket to fit the lug nuts, which are an unusual size. Extra tire pressure gage. WD-40. Wood too put the jack on if I have to change a tire. The tire is behind the driver's seat, jack behind passenger seat. Spare glasses, and pet water bottle. Most goes in the burlap rice bag with the extra grocery bags and roll of T.P. Be prepared for an emergency!;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
It is explained in the owner's manual -- I looked at it, and bought a spare tire.
Now we're getting to the crux of the matter: I never received an owner's manual with my Smart, and have been "flying blind"...
I've been searching for the paper manual online for about four Months...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, but I very much prefer a copy made from processed tree fibers...
I'm a "folder & highlighter" kind of guy.
The manual that came with my Smart is pre-folded & highlighted. The previous owner ended up photo-copying the all important pre-tow procedure pages! They are almost falling out of the book. (I got the car with only 11,000 miles on the odometer, he mostly towed it behind his motor-home). Just print the pages of most interest. I like having a PDF of the manual on my computer to look at if need be without going out to the car to get it.

·
I'll figger this car out
216 Posts
The manual that came with my Smart is pre-folded & highlighted. The previous owner ended up photo-copying the all important pre-tow procedure pages! They are almost falling out of the book. (I got the car with only 11,000 miles on the odometer, he mostly towed it behind his motor-home). Just print the pages of most interest. I like having a PDF of the manual on my computer to look at if need be without going out to the car to get it.
Why not have both?
I once worked at length on a 1926 Citroen B14 where the manual was very expensive, having been loaned by the owner to the local auto museum. I care made copies, replaced the manual, then used the copies to make a .pdf This way, the original manual never saw any dirt.

When I can, I do that with a lot of items. Yes, it's a little cumbersome, but I can peruse a copy of the manual and think about the repair, do some research and do the jb without any problems. Once the job is done, I add notes to an annotated version.

·
Registered
300 Posts
They do make for a pretty darned0-good Toad! (y)
Or more accurately: a Tadpole! :D

21 - 37 of 37 Posts