Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the soft top version I see the sidebars get stored there. For the pure and/or pasion is this empty space for storage in the tailgate? Or is it going to have another type of cover that prevents it from opening up? I'm hoping its empty space and we have access to it. Good spot for my Frisby Golf Discs togo :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
With the soft top version I see the sidebars get stored there. For the pure and/or pasion is this empty space for storage in the tailgate? Or is it going to have another type of cover that prevents it from opening up? I'm hoping its empty space and we have access to it. Good spot for my Frisby Golf Discs togo :)
I saw in a You tube video the real compartment is just the same - just no liner to hold the top pieces like the cabrio

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
that is correct. The coupe has a compartment cover, but the entire space is available for storage instead of the styrofoam? insert in which the top cabrio panels are stored. And there is even an option accessory "safety package" which fits in this location as well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Plenty of room for ice and a few cold ones while tailgating at the game. You can even tailgate in your own parking spot!

·
Banned
64 Posts
I feel quite certain there will be a broad range of accessories from different vendors for this tailgate. Grill a possibility? I think so!

Aaron Lephart

·
Registered
798 Posts
Interestingly enough, I was just wondering if the gate would be strong enough to sit on. I mean, it should be, right? I imagine going for a little drive, backing into an ocean view or lake view spot and having a little picnic while listening to my favorite tunes from my little Smart's radio :)

·
Registered
834 Posts
Interestingly enough, I was just wondering if the gate would be strong enough to sit on. I mean, it should be, right? I imagine going for a little drive, backing into an ocean view or lake view spot and having a little picnic while listening to my favorite tunes from my little Smart's radio :)
I think that remains to be seen as the tailgate is restricted in its downward travel by a cable on each side that use small screws as fasteners. I pressed down on it during the road show and I did not think it would support seating. BUT in a show like road show there are so many people milling around that a real determination was not possible

·
Banned
64 Posts
The tailgate supported my 200lb weight with ease. The steel cables that support it look strong enough to endure the repeated use.

Aaron Lephart

·
Registered
275 Posts
My issue was the way the cables are fastened to the tailgate
I looked at that too and have concerns about the weight limits. Although, there was a young lady sitting on the tailgate of the model used for display. Still, I wonder what besides the tridon shell is it attached to, It may well be an area that ends up with a lot of stress cracks if people do sit on them.

(p.s. that's the aircraft sheetmetal mechanic in me speaking.)

·
Registered
499 Posts
At the test drive I asked the attendant about the strength of the tail gate. and he told me to sit on it. I did. It held. I weigh 285 lbs.

·
Registered
834 Posts

It looks to me from this picture that the cables fasten into a plastic insert that contains the storage box in the tailgate. If that is the case it is problematic as to how long the gate can be used as a seat.

P.S. Hope I'm dead wrong

1 - 20 of 21 Posts