Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warranty will run out in the next couple of months, so we are trying to nail down all the little glitches that might cause future problems.

The only things left are the AM radio (no hope here),and the pitter patter of little engine parts at idle (known here as the "tat, tat, tat sound").

How wide spread is this, and has anyone been able to figure out what it is, and have it FIXED?

Here's the old thread (buried away in the 451 forum). http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f27/tat-tat-tat-sound-3125/
Thanks to J. for the path. A2Jack.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Warranty will run out in the next couple of months, so we are trying to nail down all the little glitches that might cause future problems.

The only things left are the AM radio (no hope here),and the pitter patter of little engine parts at idle (known here as the "tat, tat, tat sound").

How wide spread is this, and has anyone been able to figure out what it is, and have it FIXED?

Here's the old thread (buried away in the 451 forum). http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f27/tat-tat-tat-sound-3125/
Thanks to J. for the path. A2Jack.
The tat-tat-tat may be fuel-injectors picking. I have listened in my smart with the engine cover off and I thought it sounded like injectors rather than valve-lifters. Just a guess.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It is the lifters, sounds exactly like the 2.0 Mitsu motor that was in the DOHC Dodge Neon's. we used to joke that the engine was made by singer due to the noise it made. The sound lessen or go away at high RPM's because that is when the lifter gets very close to going solid. We fixed the going solid issue by installing updated lifters that allowed more oil flow keeping them from going solid.

Dink

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Differing opinions. Very important question, very common sound... in fact, I think all cars have the sound by design.

Could one of the Smart techs on the forum stick their neck out a bit and give us an authoritative answer? We'll try to keep the axes away... you guys have been such a help a few times in the past.

We could put this question to rest by having two techs agree on what it is, or at least what it isn't. So far the consensus is fuel purge valve, which sounds right to me because it gets faster/louder when I'd expect the catalytic converter would be most saturated with unburned fuel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts