Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
17,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Nano, the world's cheapest car, is perhaps unsurprisingly terrible at protecting passengers in a head-on crash. In these frontal tests conducted at 64 km/hr (roughly 40 mph), the Nano scored no stars out of 5 for occupant protection. It, along with the Hyundai i10 and Suzuki Alto 800, earned the following remarks:

... the vehicle structures proved inadequate and collapsed to varying degrees, resulting in high risks of life-threatening injuries to the occupants. The extent of the structural weaknesses in these models were such that fitting airbags would not be effective in reducing the risk of serious injury.
The Tata Nano Is Appallingly Horrific In A Head On Crash

·
17,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of score does a motorcycle get in these tests.
I don't know...you can't get much worse than 0. At least on a motorcycle there's a chance you can bail off, get out of the way, or get launched off and still live. And then you're wearing a helmet, which apparently will provide better protection than the Nano's structure.

They're basically saying that in a Nano, you have no choice and no protection!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Kinda funny. I remember a thread on here a couple of years ago talking about the Nano crash results. I commented it would crush like a tin can, and a bunch of folks came back stating it did well in crash tests. What has changed?

Do the companies that sell cars in India really not care about safety since the government there doesn't mandate it?:confused:

·
17,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's the version sold in India; not sure why anyone is surprised. :)

Tata Nano crash test on video | Autocar
There isn't a European version. It never made it past the concept stage.

The test the Nano passed was Britain's crash test. Passing Britain's crash test isn't an official certification for Europe. Also, Britain's crash test is much less stringent than the official test.

What matters is the Euro N-CAP test, because that would certify it for use on European roads.

It's kinda like the IIHS v. NHTSA. One is official, one isn't! :eek:

·
17,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They didn't make anything up. The problem is that they're saying that the Britain's Vehicle Certification Authority's crash test is the official European crash test. But it isn't. It's either a typo or a misunderstanding of some sort, but the crash test it passed wasn't the official test for European crash standards.

The official crash testing group for Europe is the NCAP. Their test is the one that really matters. :)

The proof is in the article itself:

The £1800 economy car was subjected to tests at the MIRA test centre last week under the supervision of an inspector from Britain’s Vehicle Certification Authority
It intends to subject these cars to the NCAP testing, and is confident of a four-star rating.
Tata Nano safety under scrutiny after dire crash test results | Philip Oltermann and Paige McClanahan | Global development | The Guardian

It would be like if the Nano scored "Acceptable" in an IIHS crash test but completely failed the NHTSA crash test. The one that actually matters is the NHTSA test. Same kind of concept across the pond. :)

·
17,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Déjà Vu!

I wonder what happened to their planned US/European model (with airbags and upgraded crash structure). Last I heard, the trail went cold after sales began tanking.

Also, I'm not sure why it scored good for the British test but failed the NCAP.
Shame, looks like Tata isn't getting into Europe or the US anytime soon...

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
Had a guy at work walked into my office and told me that my car failed the crash testing. He had no idea what a Nano was or that they were not sold in the USA, or even that the failed test was done in Germany. He saw a picture and figured it was the same as my smart. The picture showed a 4 door crashing into a barrier, not even the same profile as my car. Shows you the caliber of who I have to deal with every day.

The kicker is that he is one of the head quality inspectors at the plant. Nice attention to details!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts