Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Very informative teardown of the 453 motor needing replacement at under 100,000 miles.
He suggests a 10,000 km (6214 mile) oil change for the motor to last 300000 km (186,411 miles).

More fuel for the fire against MB recommended 10,000 mile oil change.
5000 mile changes with 1% SAPS for me!

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
If you really want to know if you're wasting your money with 5K oil changes which I suspect you are, why not spend $14 and get an oil analysis at 5K or 10K to not have to guess whether you or the engineers who built the engine are right? My guess is that using the right oil and filter, the analysis will show that even at 10K the oil has plenty of life left.

Len

·
Registered
239 Posts
False supposition: "If you really want to know if you're wasting your money with 5K oil changes which I suspect you are..."

I spend a lot on keeping my cars maintained, and in this case of oil for this motor, I follow the MB 229.51 specification (and MB 229.5 for the 450s).

Where I have a problem is the 10k oil change interval is recommended (and required for MB warranty claims), the 451 and 453 motors are not MB, but Renault and Mitsubishi.

Also, the video points out 'oil starvation' and 'oil consumption' issues that would be better addressed by 5000 mile oil changes.

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Where I have a problem is the 10k oil change interval is recommended (and required for MB warranty claims), the 451 and 453 motors are not MB, but Renault and Mitsubishi.

Also, the video points out 'oil starvation' and 'oil consumption' issues that would be better addressed by 5000 mile oil changes.
I'll bite. Why is a 5,000-mile oil change right and the car's engineers and laboratories like Blackstone wrong?

Renault's recommended service intervals for this engine are actually longer than smart's, so it's not like smart chose a 10,000-mile interval without merit. I'm not sure why the Renault engine is a problem?

I suppose you have a point that a shorter interval helps prevent starvation. But that's not an engine design problem; it's a band-aid fix for the fact that people don't maintain their cars as they should.

Reactions: sokoloff

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's not about the oil 'life'; any oil meeting MB 229.51 will last 10,000 miles.
Most owners never open the engine cover and just follow the 'recommended' 10k service.

The video shows damage to the engine from oil consumption (ie. oil with 'life' still in it, but low) and that's not the fault of the owner or owner's not maintaining their cars; they are following the recommended 10k service.

So the 5,000 mile oil change is right (for this motor to prevent damage to the internals) and the 10,000 mile oil change is right for the engineers and blackstone labs (for the oil).

Which one would you follow - one that you have to replace your engine, even following the 10K mile service or you change the oil on your own every 5k?

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
The video shows damage to the engine from oil consumption (ie. oil with 'life' still in it, but low) and that's not the fault of the owner or owner's not maintaining their cars; they are following the recommended 10k service.

Which one would you follow - one that you have to replace your engine, even following the 10K mile service or you change the oil on your own every 5k?
Vehicle owners should regularly inspect their cars between intervals. A service interval doesn't mean "ignore everything until it's time for an oil change." It is safe practice to make sure your vehicle is in good condition with some regularity. That means checking tires, bulbs, and yep, fluids.

Of course, lots of drivers don't do that, and the result is that you see cars driving around on underinflated tires, blown lights (if they're even turned on), or engine damage from oil starvation. But that's still on them for not paying attention, not the manufacturer for setting a high interval.

Maybe I have a different perspective because I fly planes. While the Cessna I fly has 100-hour service intervals, checking the oil is still a part of every pre-flight inspection. The oil level can and does change between services. I suppose you could reduce the service interval to 50 hours, but it makes more sense to check the plane before a flight.

My oils get changed every 10,000-15,000 miles. But between those intervals you bet I'm checking my fluid levels. So no engine replacements here.

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
Yep, one You Tube video would make me ignore the manufacturer's recommendations and cut my oil change interval in half. If 5K oil changes is better than 10K changes, then 2500 mile changes would be even better right? :)

My three Smarts each have over 20K miles on them and I haven't changed the oil once!! I have no idea even where the oil filter is. :)

Len
2014 EV Coupe 22,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 23,000 miles
2015 EV Coupe 20,500 miles

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,811 Posts
@sokoloff You may want to add that all of your smarts are EV's. Otherwise some one will read this post and say "See Bertha, I told you I never have to change the oil in the smart, just like the lawn mower". :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
Thus the smiley face. Wanted to if anyone was paying attention. You were. :)

When I take my Smarts in for their annual safety inspection, the old timer who does the inspection will often call over the new guy and ask him if can help him find the oil filter. :)

Len
2014 EV Coupe 22,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 23,000 miles
2015 EV Coupe 20,500 miles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts