Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy,

so, I´ve been selected as one of the smart owners with climate control issues.

That is: my AC only works when I put on the lowest temp setting possible (17 degrees Celsius in my car which has Metric gauges) , if I put it out of that setting (even 18 degrees) it enters maximum heating mode and in less than 3 minutes the temperature inside the car reaches about 40ºC.

That problem is well documented here

https://www.evilution.co.uk/info/451_air_conditioning_faults.htm (in "Climate Control Produces Hot And Cold, Nothing Inbetween")

and here

https://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?menu=interior&mod=541 (in "The Temperature Selector Is Inaccurate")

well... I already tried replacing the temp sensor on the lower right section under the dashboard, it didn´t help. so it leaves only the climate control unit as suspect for the malfunction.

Yes, I know that it can be "recalibrated" but that can only be done on a smart center (private workshops that work with Benz don´t even want to touch my car for that specific issue) and the only smart center (a MB Dealer) in my city is a place I´d rather be away from unless no other choice remains (their customer service is "terrible", not to use any swearing words to define it - let´s say I went there trying to solve the issue, they won´t open a service order without pre-scheduling, and they left me sitting down 30 minutes waiting for someone to schedule the visit before I gave up - to hell with them).

So, I plan to replace the A/C temp control unit by myself.

How do I take it out? Can´t find a tutorial on that on Evilution.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wiggy good morning, I hope this helps a little. The link is for the climate control removal. I’ve not seen anyone paint this part because of the stenciling on it, the bezel that covers the entire assembly is what usually is painted. I own a 2015 451 and don’t have the typical bezel found in the earlier models of the 451, but removal of the Bezel is pretty straight forward.

Paula

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the controller out of the car. There are 4 screws in the back holding it together. I removed them but the unit still does not want to come apart. I'm afraid of breaking it if I force it open. Removing the unit itself wasn't that bad of a process. 20200202_132902.jpg 20200201_172747.jpg

·
Registered
158 Posts
Good evening,
I have seen parts before that the manufacture considered unserviceable. Or in better terms no serviceable parts inside. My Samurai had a ton of them This may be one of them, but if you do crack the Nut open, please post the results for future reference.
Paula

1 - 7 of 7 Posts