Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife was driving and the temp. light came on and she said she heard a fan running - not the heater. Is this servicable?

Thanks
Rob

Registered
I have a 2015 Fortwo ED with low mileage. This exact same problem just started happening to me last month. For the most part, the cooling fan kicks on first and then after a while longer, the red temperature light illuminates in the cluster. So far, the car remains driveable but I鈥檓 reluctant to drive it for extended periods.

It鈥檚 been chilly here - in the 30s-40sF or cooler. Using an infrared thermometer, I鈥檝e checked the coolant and radiator lines and even when the temperature light is on, they measure cooler than the ambient air - something like 30F when it鈥檚 39F outside. I鈥檓 assuming the cooling fan is making the coolant colder even after driving around.

Please let me know if you determine root cause. I鈥檓 unaware of an ED shop anywhere near me so I鈥檓 on my own in trying to resolve. There is significant swirl going on in the coolant tank, so I know that pump is operating. Only things I can think is maybe a temperature sensor has failed? I鈥檓 trying to research best OBD tool to try and see if the coolant temperature is being reported and what it is.

Registered
2014 Cabriolet bought in Sept 2016 with 6,470 mi
Sign Guy - you're in Canada, it's barely spring, you're battery pack isn't going to overheat unless there is something seriously wrong with it. If there was something seriously wrong with the pack, the car wouldn't be working.

Conclusion, you have a bad temp sensor.

Registered
I'm confused, as far as I know, the smart ED3 hasn't got a temperature light.

Registered
For what its worth, Autel claims their HT200 OBD scanner is compatible with the smart electric. I contacted their tech support to confirm. If someone tries one please let us know if its useful...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts