Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Just got a news flash today. Tesla, is developing, semi truck EV semi trucks. Instant torque. Battery, and hydrogen power plants. Fed X, is planning a whole fleet, of delivery vehicles too. I bet in the next 10 years. ICE vehicles, will become dinosaurs. What does everyone think?

The developer of the Dyson vacuum is planning to design EV vehicles.

https://www.wired.com/story/teslas-electric-truck-is-comingand-so-are-everyone-elses/

·
Registered
883 Posts
What is odd about Dyson is that he has EV components that he has been saving for decades and is said to be planning on using that gear. No digital motor there.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk

·
Registered
835 Posts
As I recall in the 1950's & 60's there were electric buses run with overhead wires in Chicago and I believe NYC. From the looks of the picture in post one we are stepping back in time.

Picture will deleted in a day or two due to limited storage.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have a new street car system. In Kansas City. In the downtown area. Over head power lines. It’s system, suppose to be expanded to a wider area. Our city also has more EV charging station, then any other in the Midwest.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Obviously battery powered vehicles are almost infinitely more flexible than overhead-wire trains, buses, or trucks.

I do have vivid memories of the electric trolleys that Metro ran in Seattle when I was a teenager. The operators of the Route 70 were rated on their ability to get the power shoe back on the line without creating a giant shower of sparks. Metro still runs successors to that bus over the University Bridge, where the mid-span gap creates a pop and spark every time a bus goes over it.

And today, Metro is buying Proterra battery-powered buses and running them on suburban East-side routes.

Tesla's Semi is an absolute monster. It can't solve all use cases, of course, but fleet operators can do math better than most.

Is Tesla fudging those operating cost numbers ? Maybe. The cost of charging infrastructure is enormous.

But I know for sure I've never seen a product introduction that made truck fleet operators look like giddy teenagers.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just on the CBS news. They talked about the new Tesla semi truck. 500 mile range. Can be set on a set destination. Walmart is Interested in a fleet of them. Should arrive, on the road. By the Year 2019.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,453 Posts
There are some new videos over on the Corvette forum about the intro on the Tesla semi and the Tesla sports car. The semi will go 0-60 in 5 seconds as a bobtail and will go 0-60 in 20 seconds pulling a trailer and grossing 80,000 pounds. It will pull a 5% grade fully loaded at 65mph while a diesel fully loaded will pull that same grade at 45mph.

The new sports car will be a 2+2 and go 0-60 in 1.8 seconds. The 1/4 mile in 8.9 seconds and top out at over 250mph. At normal highway speeds, it will deliver 620 miles on a single charge.

I don't know how to post those videos here, but maybe JWight can as he is a Corvette forum member ,too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Direct transcripts of passenger comments during the Roadster 2.0 check-rides last night:

Oh, Jesus ! Whoah..Woohooo ! Oh, Boy. That's crazy ! I'm serious. Ha ha haaaa !
Okay, I'm ready. Head's back. Holy crap ! Whoah ! That was insane, plaid, I don't have words for it. I feel like we took off. Holy Crap ! Holy **** ! Wow !
How do you do that all night ! Oh man. Oh God ! Oh, this feels so good. Wow. This is insane. Wow. Wow. WOW ! There's no words for what just happened.
Whoah. This is just.. just mind-blowing.
Oh my God ! Oh my God ! Hooo ! Whoo hoo hoo ! Oh my God. That was like a roller coaster. Oh my God, the G-Forces. That is incredible.
A car that can make grown men say things like that is a car that you can sell for $250,000.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How much does the tractor weigh?
If it weighs more than a regular one,
they may have to transport less stuff
to keep the weight below 80,000 pounds.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Seems Wally-World has pre-ordered 15 of the EV trucks.

Charging to 80% would take only 30 minutes on a new solar-powered Megacharger network; seems impressive.

Is Musk spreading himself and Tesla too 'thin' with all these projects / products? Or will he become the Howard Hughes of the millennium.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk

·
Registered
912 Posts
Supposedly Tesla is at 240 Wh/kg with their latest batteries. That explains how the Roadster can have 200 kWh storage on board and presumably be a somewhat acceptable (not announced) weight. (The batteries would weigh 833 kg - about 1800 lbs - a lot, but not the end of the world). The transport truck's onboard storage wasn't announced, but 600 - 800 kWh seems plausible, and at that rate, the batteries would weigh 3000-3500 kg, 7000-8000 lbs. Bear in mind that it doesn't have a 13 litre diesel engine and the corresponding gearbox and 1000 litre fuel tank on board (and yes, the motors and inverters will weigh something, but nowhere near that much).

The acceleration figures are somewhat telling, also. If it takes 20 seconds to get to 60 mph fully loaded (80,000 lbs total) and 5 seconds with the tractor only, that kinda implies that the tractor weighs 20,000-ish lbs ... which is about what a normal one weighs.

I must say that this is quite impressive if they can pull it off.

And that is what I have concerns about. The Model 3 launch is delayed, which surprises absolutely nobody in the auto industry outside of Tesla. They'll get there, but it's stepping on the same time frame that they will need to build this.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
If Mr. Musk has delay issues with the Model 3, he should focus on that first, than these other projects in the pipeline.....

Within 10 years would end up being when???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts