Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
17,479 Posts
Tesla themselves may have! :D The first prototype of the Phase II ED (2009-2011) had the motor and battery from a Tesla Roadster. I have little proof outside of a YouTube video where the prototype is being driven and the occupants are talking about it. Plus it looked to accelerate WAY faster than a Phase II ED could ever accelerate. I just asked Musk himself so we’ll see! :)

But yeah, who will be the first ED owner to make an ED “Hayabusa”? :D

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
I would like to drop, a Tesla Motor. Into a C3 Corvette. I think I’ll give Chip Foose a call. Why stop at one Motor. Maybe two.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Tesla themselves may have! :D The first prototype of the Phase II ED (2009-2011) had the motor and battery from a Tesla Roadster. I have little proof outside of a YouTube video where the prototype is being driven and the occupants are talking about it. Plus it looked to accelerate WAY faster than a Phase II ED could ever accelerate. I just asked Musk himself so we’ll see! :)

Daimler’s interest in electrification has waxed and waned over the years. In 2009, it invested in Tesla, and it used the California company’s battery packs in the smart ED and the Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive, compliance cars that Daimler sold in low volumes and later discontinued. In 2014, Daimler sold its ownership stake in Tesla (at a profit of $780 million). By 2016, Daimler had developed its own battery technology, and terminated all ties with Tesla.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/strategic-partnership-daimler-acquires-stake-tesla

·
17,479 Posts
Daimler’s interest in electrification has waxed and waned over the years. In 2009, it invested in Tesla, and it used the California company’s battery packs in the smart ED and the Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive, compliance cars that Daimler sold in low volumes and later discontinued. In 2014, Daimler sold its ownership stake in Tesla (at a profit of $780 million). By 2016, Daimler had developed its own battery technology, and terminated all ties with Tesla.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/strategic-partnership-daimler-acquires-stake-tesla
I’m aware of the relationship between Tesla and MB. :)

Tesla built at least one prototype as a proof of concept (or because the people at Tesla are crazy). That prototype was basically Frankenstein-ed together with Roadster parts.

Of course, the public version of the car had whatever running gear smart intended.

The relationship between Tesla and smart ended after the 2011 model year. The Tesla batteries didn’t pair well to the rest of the drivetrain (it was panned even by smart fans for bad performance and range) and were very expensive.

250 Tesla battery smarts were allocated for personal and business leases (all 250 were not leased, leading some dealers trying to sell them outright for a tick over $40k) with an additional going to Car2Go.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I’m aware of the relationship between Tesla and MB. :)

Tesla built at least one prototype as a proof of concept (or because the people at Tesla are crazy). That prototype was basically Frankenstein-ed together with Roadster parts.

Of course, the public version of the car had whatever running gear smart intended.

The relationship between Tesla and smart ended after the 2011 model year. The Tesla batteries didn’t pair well to the rest of the drivetrain (it was panned even by smart fans for bad performance and range) and were very expensive.

250 Tesla battery smarts were allocated for personal and business leases (all 250 were not leased, leading some dealers trying to sell them outright for a tick over $40k) with an additional going to Car2Go.
I recall a video of Elon Musk doing a video presentation where, he discussed the Daimler Benz investment and the fact that if not for them there was a good chance Tesla would not exist today.
He also mentions the roadster powered smart fortwo which could literally do wheelies if not governed. Can I find it now? Of course not!:crying:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

But this isn't the Tesla roadster motor, it's the one out of the P series. Capable of 400 kW input! So if the battery can supply it, potentially about 535 horsepower!

Some of the batteries now out there can discharge at 15C for several tens of seconds without major damage and without requiring extensive cooling. So potentially, a 30 kwH battery pack made in this way could power this motor. A smart with 345/25-20 tires in the rear to handle the power! Wouldn't that be cool!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I recall a video of Elon Musk doing a video presentation where, he discussed the Daimler Benz investment and the fact that if not for them there was a good chance Tesla would not exist today.
He also mentions the roadster powered smart fortwo which could literally do wheelies if not governed. Can I find it now? Of course not!:crying:
Yea, i've seen that, too. Basically his whole proof of concept to try to get funding to start Tesla Motors was putting an electric motor into a Smart.... but I don't believe THAT smart was anything near what the one in the video Eloder just posted was. IIRC, in that interview, he mentions something along the lines of either having to limit the power DRASTICALLY, or having to be very light on the throttle so as to not constantly do wheelies.

·
17,479 Posts
Tsk tsk I’ll contact Musk in a DM, he’s usually good at answering silly questions from fans.

Now, InjuredAgain is correct, these motors are out of the P series. If the Roadster motor made the fortwo do insane wheelies, what does that mean for a P motor? :D

If I had the money, I’d volunteer a cabrio and turn it into the fastest smartie on Earth...for all of the 2 seconds it lasts before it kills me. :D

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,764 Posts
If I had the money, I?d volunteer a cabrio and turn it into the fastest smartie on Earth...for all of the 2 seconds it lasts before it kills me.
Sounds likely a crowd funding project looking for a place to happen.

And your YouTube video would go viral in a heartbeat, literally!

·
17,479 Posts
Ooh can we? It would be a fun learning experience!!

Reactions: smark
1 - 13 of 13 Posts