Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As if the McDonalds-hot coffee lawsuit wasn't bad enough...

Tesla Motors (TSLA) Named in Suit Tied to Fatal California Bike Accident

"Jain [the Tesla driver that hit the cyclist] said he purchased the vehicle just ten days before the accident. Due to the strong, new-car smell from the Tesla, the driver used a baking soda air freshener to lighten the scent. The driver alleged that the smell caused him to fall asleep and there there were no mechanical deficiencies with the vehicle."

·
17,350 Posts
Lulz. Any excuse to avoid blame...This is just as stupid as "unintended acceleration"...

Maybe I should sue McDonald's one day because my iced coffee was so cold I caused a multi-car pileup.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Due to the strong, new-car smell from the Tesla, the driver used a baking soda air freshener to lighten the scent. The driver alleged that the smell caused him to fall asleep and there there were no mechanical deficiencies with the vehicle."
Wait, and this is the fault of (deep pockets) Tesla?

Oh, no Mr. Bill!

Moral to the story, drive a smelly old beater?

·
17,350 Posts
And this is why people are pushing for mandatory yearly driver's exams for people 60 and older. :(

Not saying that Seniors can't drive...just that some really shouldn't! :eek:

Edit: The same should go for us kids too!

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
And this is why people are pushing for mandatory yearly driver's exams for people 60 and older. :(

Not saying that Seniors can't drive...just that some really shouldn't! :eek:
Hey young whippersnapper, hear tell there might be a couple members offended by your comments . . .

Don't make me turn the Gray Vigilantes (you know who you are) loose on you . . .

·
17,350 Posts
Alright, let's just calm down before I break out the accident stats for the 25 and younger crowd....:D
Hey, I'm not discriminating! Us youngin's should have more stringent standards to meet too! :D :nerd:

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
And this is why people are pushing for mandatory yearly driver's exams for people 60 and older.
I don't have first hand knowledge of anyone pushing for annual exams for seniors. And, Florida is the only state I'm somewhat familiar with the regulations.

But, I would say (and have said publicly before) that Florida needs to tighten up. I'm 60. I haven't been tested in nearly three decades! And then, only because I was returning to the state after being licensed elsewhere and my Florida license had expired.

·
17,350 Posts
Here in IL, you can renew your license without an exam as long as you don't have any serious offences. They even let you do it online so you don't even have to go to the DMV to do it! :eek:

That "affluenza" kid makes my blood boil. A prime example of why the system is broken...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Blaming the scent is comical.

You could maybe oh i don't know.... open the windows and air it out? Prior to the incident he had 9 days to rid the smell which shouldn't take long if you really want it gone. And ya the new car smell can have some effects on you internally but you cant just blame that. Also not in defense in any way of the driver but riding a bike on the freeway is pretty dangerous.

But Tesla shouldn't be worried. It's the drivers fault, not Teslas.

Poor guy though. Probably worked hard, bought an expensive car and 10 days later killed a guy driving it. Very unfortunate. and RIP to the cyclist obviously.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I can't sleep right now. So one of the spray cans of "New Car Smell" should knock me right out? Spray some in a bag and huff? I think I will pass and just keep reading SCOA until my eyes get tired.
As for the Tesla Driver, YMMV as in You Make Me Vomit!

Not Me. I was too busy sleeping to kill any body.
Yeah, right! and even really large children should be spanked for claiming to be that stupid. That guy deserves to be TAZED for making a claim like that.
ZAP! Okay, now did you care to repeat that? Go, ahead, I'm ready. Make my day!

Sorry about that. I had a LIVID MOMENT. I'm over it now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts