Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Very impressive!
Wow!

Don't know why this is in the smart ED sub forum though.
This is general interest stuff.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Maybe he figures no one else is going to throw the capital at it that he has, or he figures they will have moved on and don't need the older tech. Either way, I can't see shelling out to build an EV of my own.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Either way, I can't see shelling out to build an EV of my own.
Of course not, that's absurd. But, this enables established manufacturers. No need to re-invent the wheel.

I think this is a very helpful thing. Warrants a hat tip and kudos.

Whether they'll take advantage or not is a question. But, that would be their fault, and loss.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I guess he realized that SuperCharger infrastructure will never reach ubiquitous coverage if Tesla is the only company building it. Still not sure if he can get it widely adopted over the other fast charging standards that are starting to be deployed.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Of course not, that's absurd. But, this enables established manufacturers. No need to re-invent the wheel.

I think this is a very helpful thing. Warrants a hat tip and kudos.

Whether they'll take advantage or not is a question. But, that would be their fault, and loss.
It simply doesn't do anything to change the fundamentals of the [physics] problems which are still to be solved ie. There is still no good or economical and certainly no lightweight solution for storing electricity on-board. There is no 'free' Atlas Shrugged-type unlimited energy here. Cool if it helps some one, but I just don't see it.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
I think they're taking the Android approach and that's a unique path in the automotive world. Tesla is trying to make their technology the market standard and they probably have some creative ways to monetize that position. They'll keep the best pieces for themselves (like Google does) while opening up the rest.

No matter what the strategy, hats off to Tesla for stopping a few more worthless patent lawsuits and generating goodwill by sharing their research. I hope they stay on track for the mass market model in the 2017 time frame and I'll be in the market for one.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SHEER GENIUS, how does Elon drum up business for his new Giga-factory?
Tesla is trying to make their technology the market standard and they probably have some creative ways to monetize that position.
That was exactly my take. This is less a "here's how to make our stuff on your own" and more of a "here's the SDK you need to interface with the stuff you can buy from us for cheaper than you can make it soon". Still a nice touch, since it does open things up, and it really is a bit of a risk.

I work for a company in a similar situation. Our patents are coming up, and some are worried that others may rush in and try to undercut what we do. That was until one company tried, and blew through 2x our annual budget to get a product that was far inferior.

My bet is, Tesla has a lot of experience and expertise that's above and beyond what's in the patents. You could probably reproduce what they're doing using it as a blueprint, but not as effectively or efficiently as they can without years of catch-up.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
use in the next Smart Ed?

Very impressive!
Wow!

Don't know why this is in the smart ED sub forum though.
This is general interest stuff.
Since it is open source from an electric vehicle, perhaps it could be used in a future version of the Smart ED? :nerd:

Forbes.

“We felt compelled to create patents out of concern that the big car companies would copy our technology and then use their massive manufacturing, sales and marketing power to overwhelm Tesla. We couldn’t have been more wrong. The unfortunate reality is the opposite: electric car programs (or programs for any vehicle that doesn’t burn hydrocarbons) at the major manufacturers are small to non-existent, constituting an average of far less than 1% of their total vehicle sales.”

1 - 12 of 12 Posts