Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Life With Tesla Model S: Electric-Draw Vampire Slain, At Last

So some Teslas wasted > 3kWh/day when plugged in (after their batteries were full). Now victory is declared, the draw is down to 1.1kWh/day!

I guess people who can pay that much for a car have a completely different understanding of what waste is.

My smart takes 0.0kWh/day, at least for the first two days. I wasn't willing to let it sit undriven for longer than that...

·
17,343 Posts
The Tesla probably runs quite a few computer processes, even while the car is off, while a smart probably runs none.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Life With Tesla Model S: Electric-Draw Vampire Slain, At Last

So some Teslas wasted > 3kWh/day when plugged in (after their batteries were full). Now victory is declared, the draw is down to 1.1kWh/day!

I guess people who can pay that much for a car have a completely different understanding of what waste is.

My smart takes 0.0kWh/day, at least for the first two days. I wasn't willing to let it sit undriven for longer than that...
It is a very complex car. It has many devices that need electricity constantly. The more expensive model has a huge 85kWh battery almost 5 times the size of the Smart's battery. Our smart has a 17.6kWh battery. Who cares about spending 3kWh/day? But I understand what you mean:)

Besides, for some lucky guy who has a few millions of dollars sitting on the bank and a prosperous business; it is like for me buying a skate board and worring about spending it's wheels as it runs in the street.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Maybe I am imagining things, but I have seen some drain when I leave the car parked for a few days over the past weekend where it was close to freezing.

I had believed I left it with 82% charge when I checked the app on Friday evening, and when I looked on the app on Monday AM it had 79%...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Most rechargeables lose charge over time in any case. But the Tesla likely has several things running regularly that other cars don't. Like a wifi system that check for messages to remote start, or sensor systems to push out the door handles when the car is touched, or the fob is in range. Those all take power to run. Good odds they were doing the equivalent of having the laptop that runs the car in "standby mode" instead of in a deeper sleep mode, or hibernation.

Since our systems all run off the small 12-volt systems (like in an ICE), it's been designed to run on as little power as it could, to not sap that battery. Tesla was designed from the ground up, and probably didn't have power conservation in mind when it came to control systems. Or at least it wasn't as much as a priority as other items.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Maybe I am imagining things, but I have seen some drain when I leave the car parked for a few days over the past weekend where it was close to freezing.

I had believed I left it with 82% charge when I checked the app on Friday evening, and when I looked on the app on Monday AM it had 79%...
When temperatures are extremely low, the Smart ED is programmed to have the battery heating system come on and warm the battery packs. I'll have to look up the chapter and verse, but somewhere in the owners manual it recommends that you should leave the charger plugged in all night when temperatures are very low, so as not to waste battery power activating the battery heater.

Hmmm, I may be wrong in that assumption. page 109 of the manual says to keep the vehicle plugged in during times of low temperatures, but it does not say specifically that engine heat is activeated.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I believe that BMS using heating or cooling in cold or hot weather to keep the battery temp in a range that optimizes its performance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts