Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I test drove a Smart Fortwo and I'm hooked.. I loved the way handled, and pretty much everything about it. The transmission will take getting used too. I just need to wait a few months before I can get one. :(

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Am I the only one that actually likes the automated 5-speed in the current-gen cars? I do wish that it was able to shift a little faster, but as a manual transmission lover, I appreciate the Smartshift transmission. It really behaves like a manual transmission.
No, you're not. :)
I AND my arthritic left knee LOVE having NOT to push a clutch pedal :D

I also DO love the paddle shifters :wink:

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Am I the only one that actually likes the automated 5-speed in the current-gen cars? I do wish that it was able to shift a little faster, but as a manual transmission lover, I appreciate the Smartshift transmission. It really behaves like a manual transmission.
Nope, you're not the only one. I love mine as well. In fact, the longer I own it, the more I use the paddles. I'll cross 160K before the week is out...:D

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I'm almost always shifting in manual mode with the paddles. I'm not even aware that I've shifted into manual mode, it is an automatic response now.
Yes, I really like this automated manual transmission.
I wish everything was as reliable as the getrag transmission.

·
17,344 Posts
Colour me as a lover of the current transmission as well! It isn't perfect, but to me it's the next best thing to actually having a clutch pedal. :cool:

And that shift lag gives it an even more authentic feel. :D

I've used Manual Mode 99% of the time I've owned the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually like the transmission. The guy at the dealer said you can learn to control it, so that there's less of a gap between shifts.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't mind the transmission at all, just takes a bit to get used to it, then it feels fine.

It's just part of the charm of the smart.

Mercedes needs (needed) a better publicity campaign to explain to the average Joe Consumer why the transmission shifts the way it does (fuel economy and clutch preservation), rather then let them make their own assumptions.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
love the current trans

Colour me as a lover of the current transmission as well! It isn't perfect, but to me it's the next best thing to actually having a clutch pedal. :cool:

And that shift lag gives it an even more authentic feel. :D

I've used Manual Mode 99% of the time I've owned the car.
I too like the current trans. it is like driving a manual without the clutch pedal. :D

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
I understand the tranny, I love my smart, use my paddles, but there are times when I just want to drive in D and the wait for it to shift out of 1st to 2nd is irritating. I would rather drive a stick but my left foot (Neuroma as a result of Lyme) makes driving a car with a clutch a sometimes treat instead of the daily routine. Wanting to control the beast is my way of driving and for that tranny to keep telling me to wait....now wait....now wait a little longer to shift is really irritating. And that is why so many write the great little car up as loser. It's not but you have to understand it first, go with it second, hope for better shifting in the next model...and thirdly hope that you never have to buy a new model 'cause you love this one so much.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Wish my Internet service was as efficient as my smart transmission.

Just wrote a reply with my personal key points and experience and the Internet ate my homework.

My last line was to say just drive and thrive.

Enjoy the smart. You'll be in good company - we all love our wee cars.

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
I added the pedal mapping feature on my AreA451 cruise and the lag between gears is barely noticeable. I would assume the gopedal would do the same thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've noticed with proper throttle control the transmission is very smooth, and will shift quicker due to rpms being within range for the next gear. I've owned an E46 M3 w/ SMG and it was the same laggy, clunky trans... works fine!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Driving in Minneapolis traffic this afternoon and decided to drive Klarise in manual mode. I guess I'm like my Ol' Man since I turned the radio down to hear when to shift. I actually got a good "holeshot" in against a contractor van who wouldn't play nice. I guessed the RPMs to be up there, but when I hit 3rd it was lights out for the van down by the river.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts