Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you for allowing me to participate in your forum. My husband and I own a 2008 Smart ForTwo (license plate IMARUNT) :) We have an opportunity to purchase a 2006 Smart Cabriolet imported from Germany but altered to be driven in the states. The Smart dealership we currently take our Smart car to for service has said they would not be able to service the 2006. I called a Mercedes dealership and was told the same thing. We live in Metropolitan Phoenix and wonder if anyone out there has a suggestion.

Thank you again for allowing us to participate and I appreciate any help you can offer!

Lisë

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We almost bought a 2006 before Penske brought smart to the US. Ended up having to wait and now have a 2009.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Welcome. There is a post floating around that list independents who will work 450's listed by state, but I am not able to find it right now. I remember there was a shop in Mesa. My pack-smart sign-on link takes me to someone else's profile, so I can't search my old posts anymore.

Other than the Chandler dealership, you might check around with independents. With basic services such as oil, filters, plugs, etc., almost any shop can help.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
An independent mechanic could work on it and if any of y'all are mechanical you can work on it yourself, but the earlier ones are kind of orphans (good for me, since I will collect them as they become cheaper). Because they are orphans you can expect to have to chase down parts a bit, but they are out there either this side or the other side of the pond. IMO, this is one reason that they will be getting much more affordable as a lot of people aren't really equipped to deal with all of that.

Out of curiosity, what are they asking for the cabriolet? I bought a 2004 (basically the same car) with 3500 miles on the odometer for $7500 plus I paid $600 to ship the car to me. I got a bit of a deal, but the car shouldn't be too much more than maybe $10K. If you really want to collect an older one, and they are pretty darned cute, be patient and you should be able to get one at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much! That is helpful! Apparently this German guy in California has bought a whole bunch of 2006's that recently became available. They were tied up in Bankruptcy court. They all have under 300 miles on the odometer. He is asking $10,500 for the Cab.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Those originally sold in the States for $30K, so if the conversion has already been done that's a good price for one. I REALLY like my 2004. I think they are cuter than the newer ones too, but only just. Tell the dude to send me a price list at
kennyrayandersen at yahoo dot com. I'd like to buy a coupe to drive and use the cabriolet for collecting. Eventually, these will be kind of collectible (maybe in another 15-20 years!).

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Thanks so much! That is helpful! Apparently this German guy in California has bought a whole bunch of 2006's that recently became available. They were tied up in Bankruptcy court. They all have under 300 miles on the odometer. He is asking $10,500 for the Cab.
Huh? Please, you are able to post and keep it simple and obvious. Which court? County? So the question...!

You posting again?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts