Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to IIHS data counting only the deaths of the driver (not passengers) in their statistics:

The 10 Deadliest Vehicles on the Road

1. Nissan 350Z 2-door
2. Nissan Titan Crew Cab ***
3. Chevy Aveo
4. Chevy Cobalt
5. Nissan Titan Extended Cab ***
6. Kia Spectra Wagon
7. Chevy Malibu/Chevy Malibu Classic
8. Hyundai Tiburon
9. Nissan Versa Sedan
10. Chevy Colorado Extended Cab ***

*** Pick-up truck

Also, see: http://www.iihs.org/externaldata/srdata/docs/sr4605.pdf

An important pattern seen in looking over the list and the details found at the link above is that many of the pick-up trucks are far worse than cars of the same weight.

If a person in a pick-up truck mocks the smart fortwo, the odds are that they are really the one driving the "death trap". Many Pick-Up Trucks have a high center of gravity and lack the roof support to protect the driver when the truck rolls over.

Bob Diaz

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,080 Posts
I doubt that most of these vehicles are significantly less structurally safe than other vehicle in their class from the same time period they were produced. I think this list is more of a commentary on what riskier drivers choose to drive - less expensive vehicles (in their class) driven more often by less experienced drivers.

·
17,353 Posts
I doubt that most of these vehicles are significantly less structurally safe than other vehicle in their class from the same time period they were produced. I think this list is more of a commentary on what riskier drivers choose to drive - less expensive vehicles (in their class) driven more often by less experienced drivers.
Actually, it's quite the opposite. All of the vehicles in that list have some of the poorest safety ratings in their class. Those cars are most definitely less structurally safe than their competition.

The Colorado crumples like a Chinese built copycat. The KIA Spectra and the Hyundai Tiburon perform similarly.

The Chevy Aveo is arguably the most unsafe on that list. It's bad in any kind of crash at all.

The only exception I'd make is for the Nissan Z. The majority of people who bought those were inexperienced young adults and teenagers who got them second hand...Many of those ended up wrapped around trees and other cars...

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,080 Posts
Actually, it's quite the opposite. All of the vehicles in that list have some of the poorest safety ratings in their class. Those cars are most definitely less structurally safe than their competition.

The Colorado crumples like a Chinese built copycat. The KIA Spectra and the Hyundai Tiburon perform similarly.

The Chevy Aveo is arguably the most unsafe on that list. It's bad in any kind of crash at all.

The only exception I'd make is for the Nissan Z. The majority of people who bought those were inexperienced young adults and teenagers who got them second hand...Many of those ended up wrapped around trees and other cars...
I haven't looked up the scores from years ago when some of these models were produced and compared them to competitors from the same model year under the same testing criteria for that year, but I would think that the Nissans, the domestic Chevys, and the Tiburon would be above average.

·
17,353 Posts
See the problem though is that for the KIA Spectra, Hyundai Tiburon, and Chevy Aveo, they were aging models (been around for almost 5 or more years) that really weren't built to very high standards.

The Aveo was built during the time when Daewoo churned out cheap, disposable trash cans with wheels, and the Hyundai twins were in the same boat too.

I'm amazed because that wasn't even ten years ago and look what they're churning out now...Top Safety Picks and offerings that are digging into the market the Japanese brands once had all to themselves.

·
Registered
195 Posts
All I have to say is plastic is fantastic. Was shown some of the pics going around on the internet. 8 of 10 were a Chevy/Geo Storm/Aveo. Plus a Smart grenaded against a solid object looks like a plastic gas can smashed against the wall in -30deg weather, not a crushed up 7up can! Point, match, set!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Kinda surprised by the Titans on the list. Mine seemed like a very solid truck. However it was bought back under lemon law for brake issues the dealer couldn't fix. They also have another factor. That lovely Endurance V8. Fast as stink! And they attract a young crowd as buyers.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
The Aveo was built during the time when Daewoo churned out cheap, disposable trash cans with wheels, and the Hyundai twins were in the same boat too.
They still are!!:p I drive by a little wrecking yard occasionally near the plant where I work. Aluminum cans would fare better than most Korean cars! Some of the newer ones are less horrible, but back in the 00's, my goodness they were terribly tinny!

Kinda surprised by the Titans on the list. Mine seemed like a very solid truck. However it was bought back under lemon law for brake issues the dealer couldn't fix. They also have another factor. That lovely Endurance V8. Fast as stink! And they attract a young crowd as buyers.
Yeah, that's the surprising, but true thing about most Pickups and SUVs. Plus, as noted, with their high CG they are more prone to roll over; plus, they are heavy, so it's a double threat!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts