Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there someone who can tell when it is normal to loose a bar (from 3 to 2 bars)? I bought the car 2 months ago (it's a 2016 ED) and since last Friday I noticed I am loosing a bar even above 30% charge and did not have that before even below - 10C.

Can you tell the behavior of those 3 bars? (or do you know a post that explain this?)

Thanks
Marc

·
Registered
2014 Cabriolet bought in Sept 2016 with 6,470 mi
76 Posts
The three bars are supposed to represent the percent of battery power available to accelerate with - 3 is 100%, 2 is 66.67%, 1 is 33.33%.

Theoretically when you have two bars you should only be able go up to 66% on the % of Power gauge when accelerating and 33% when it is at one. If it's none you probably aren't going anywhere.

Since I rarely ever exceed 25% I've never noticed a difference in the performance of my car, but others who like to hit the pedal hard can tell you if it actually has an effect.

The cold has a big effect on this. In the summer I have to be down around 10% on the SOC gauge to go down to 2 bars. For me this winter it can be 30% or more and drop to 2 bars when in years past it was 20% in winter. One thing different for me is that I had the 2016 BMS update done in 2020.

If it's not the BMS update, it may be the indicator of a weakened battery pack or just that the SOC gauge is overly optimistic and you really don't have as much power as it says. I have noticed that the SOC does seem to lose more suddenly now sometimes for some trips that I take - as in losing 30% for a trip that usually only takes 20%.

I am keeping an eye on mine and will see if the effect continues into the summer or is just in the winter. I didn't see any issues in the summer or fall after the BMS update was done late spring (if my memory is correct).

·
Registered
144 Posts
I noticed I am loosing a bar even above 30%
That's way too early. At least above a temperature of > 0 °C.
Usually you start loosing them an a SoC of < 3 %.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.